Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ohio Steelhead help

Old 01-20-2003, 09:00 PM

Default Ohio Steelhead help

I would like to fish for steelhead in Ohio this spring. I would like to use my 5wt fly rod. First of all, is this enough rod? What pattern should I use and where is a good place to fish public that is not elbow to elbow? Also, what is a good time to go after steelies in the early part of the year? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ohio Steelhead help

Hey, DuckHunter. I'm from NW Ohio and pretty much fish the Maumee and some at Lake Erie. I don't really know what style you like, but I've grown up fishing from the banks mostly. However, if you like to use a boat there are a few areas with boat launches. There's a pretty good variety of fish there, but the Maumee is known for its sheephead. I even caught a small gar in the Maumee. As far as being elbow to elbow, it depends on what time of year, what day of the week, and what time of day. On a weekend at midmorning there's going to be more people than on a Tuesday at six in the morning. The walley run is a big deal around here, lots of people go fishing then, but after it's done the number of anglers falter. That's about all I know other than what areas there are. You can find them on the DNRs website www.dnr.state.oh.us If you're planning on comging to the NW they'll have info for other areas of the state also.

Brandan

Old 02-16-2003, 05:48 AM

ODH- i fish elk creek in Pa just next to Ohio and i love it as for the 5wt fly rod i would not recomend it i use a 10ft 7wt and a valentine multiplier reel. these steelies really like to run and if they get into fast water i don' t think a 5wt would handle it. belive me they take off like missles.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-16-2003, 01:08 PM

ODH- i forgot to add in my reply we had very good success in the shallower water with red sucker spawn and in the deeper holes we were using #6 clouser shiners
both fished on a dead drift