Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 My new found excitement. . . >

My new found excitement. . .

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

My new found excitement. . .

Old 06-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Default RE: My new found excitement. . .

Don't be sorry....those are some great looking photos! Keep them coming.

Good luck getting on the board. I am hoping to seeyou post apicture of a nice fat bass next!!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Dairy King: If you watch the video Chuck posted, I like using the jig in a similar fashion. Almost dragging the jig over structure and through the weedbeds. It just really feels sweet bouncing the jig over cover then having a fish slam it.

Chuck: Those are some sweet looking jigs you rigged up. MT did a wonderful job, good design on the trailer. Let me know how those things work out and where you found most of your success with them.

Josh: Are you running a spinning reel or baitcaster? I like running jigs on my spinning tackle but I just recently bought my 1st baitcaster and found it harder to run jigs with the longer handle on my baitcasting rod. I do like the pumpkin, brown,olive greencolor as well. I also was throwing a black jig with black trailer....it was muddy water so I prefer the darker colors.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I plan to spend Monday {tomorrow} ...only using a jig. I'll be fishing heavy hydrilla ...in water from 3 - 14 feet deep. I know there is a big hawg in the area because I lost him two weeks ago.Jig fishing is new to me as well. I've only caught one small bass so far on a jig.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jig fishing is a blast, but you need to be patient with it as they can bite different... I will be out for a little while in the morning fishing the same water but fishing along an old railroad bed. If the bass are on the beds I should be hitting them pretty good....The railroad bed is from back in the WWII area and hasn't been used much after that. Most of it is under water now for years.

Don't be sorry....those are some great looking photos! Keep them coming.

Thank you Bols for the comment..
Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

i only catch with jigs during the spawn.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i keep a jig tied on and ready all the time, my favorite way to fish one is flipping and pitching, i use 6'6" meadium heavy to a 7'6'' heavy action rod, i throw from 3/8oz to 1 oz jigs, when i'm flippin and pitchin i stay around 3/8-9/16 oz, i use the heavier jigs 3/4 and 1oz to fish our matted up hydrilla and milfoil, just dropping the bait thru holes in the mat or busting new holes thru it, then i'll jig it around up under the canopy of cover and go to the next hole, can be very tough fishing, but once you find a wad of fish its all worthwhile

for colors i always like blk/blu, but i have also become very fond of the greens, green pumpking and watermelon green

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

i keep a jig tied on and ready all the time, my favorite way to fish one is flipping and pitching, i use 6'6" meadium heavy to a 7'6'' heavy action rod, i throw from 3/8oz to 1 oz jigs, when i'm flippin and pitchin i stay around 3/8-9/16 oz, i use the heavier jigs 3/4 and 1oz to fish our matted up hydrilla and milfoil, just dropping the bait thru holes in the mat or busting new holes thru it, then i'll jig it around up under the canopy of cover and go to the next hole, can be very tough fishing, but once you find a wad of fish its all worthwhile

for colors i always like blk/blu, but i have also become very fond of the greens, green pumpking and watermelon green
When you are dropping straight through weedbeds, are you just yo-yoing the jig up and down?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use a Heavy action rod with 17 lb big game on it seems to work well. I like the green pumpkin jigs and the black jigs mostly with a pork trailer in the winter and worm or chunk ( dry pork) trailers in the summer and fish it real real slow with smal 6 to 7 in bounces off the bottom and just slide it over structure its a quick bit so be ready but youll land more hawgs on it
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you are dropping straight through weedbeds, are you just yo-yoing the jig up and down?
kind of and most of the time, i'll drop it thru a hole (or make a hole) then shake it a time or too, then reel up and pitch to the next hole, i did stumble on to something several years ago and have had some succes doing this, fishing in milfoil or hydrilla take a white jig with a white trailer, drop it thru the holes and reel up till your on the underside of the canopy, then bump the jig upward on the roof of the canopy, suposedly it imitates a shad or baitfish eating at the bottom of the cover, i have also used alewife jigs and trailers, but pure white has always done better for me, if you try it don't get discouraged, you can fish a whole llloooootttttt of water before you find the fish but generally when you do find them they will be ganged up and be all good fish...

good luck hope that answers your question, sorry it took me so long too see it, been kinda busy[:@]