Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 I'm trying to get my son addicted. >

I'm trying to get my son addicted.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I'm trying to get my son addicted.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I'm trying to get my son addicted.

Most of ya know that Aaron is my adopted son.He's has behavior problems and hates fishing...He got 6 today..Since I have to take him anyway I figured I 'd try to get him addicted..I cranked a shad rap and let him watch 2 shiner rods.I promiced him a coke if he would catch a bass..He had fun.We lost a few but boated over 20 fish...nothing big..but alot of laughsEverytime he looked away his rod was leaving the boat.[:-]..I tried real hard not to raise my voice..I did good today.He said he wants to go back Monday...good shtuff man

Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm trying to get my son addicted.

Awesome Chuck.............. Keep up the good work and I'm sure he'll be hooked soon. Try taking him out for those crappies...... tonnes 'O' action and lots of fish. Every time I try and get someone into fishing I take'em for panfish, then catfish. Action first and good fights L8R.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

chuck, this post gave me chills, there are tons of people that would turn there backs on a kid like this, you continue to try to get thru, and make it enjoyable to him, my brother that is what it is all about, i took up tournament fishing for several years, made a little money, but i get so much more joy out of someone else getting excited about it than i could ever get about something i do by myself, i have taken fathers and sons out for years and put them on fish, the gratitude from the dads is one thing, but the smile on a kids face, there is no replacement for it, one word...

PRICELESS

IF NOTHING ELSE STICKS WITH ME, THAT WILL

Keith

ps, praying that monday will be another "ground-breaker" day
Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

He is really lucky to have you as a father Chuck, stick with it.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Gosh folks,
Thanks...I felt very selfish dragging him along so I was trying to figure out how to show him a good time.He wants to see Shiek 3 so I was planning on taking him next week to the theator...He is left handed so I quickly changed my 2 spinning rod handles over and said,"I'll give ya a coke if ya start catching bass." A nice 2 pounder got on...and he began smiling, I figured it would be really neat if I could make him my bass partner..My boys like shiner fishing..

When we were waiting for a bite once I explained how to start the gas motor..I would never have him try that in a 30 foot deep pit..All of a sudden I hear the motor crank over and we are going forward...I said ...Aaron put the motor on turtle and it nicely stawled out..[X(]I said it calmly as I have promiced him if I yell at him I owe him 5.00,,He can really try a person so I'm working on dealing with him peacefully.

I told him he can practice on a shallow lake so he's looking forwardto that.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

chuck, IMO, it all about balance, that is with a normal child, we split things up, between fun and work, and what they want, and what is going on, i think you are doing great. myself, not sure i could handle it, i have too admit, andi have to tip my hat too you brother, somewhere, somehow, somtetime, this will all come back too you. Aaron may not appriciate it today, but one day he will, IMO, Aaron could have not gotten a more careing and devoted father than you,

my friend a huge tip of the hat too you

keith
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep chuck that is great what you are doing my dad had to have a lot of patience with me losing all of his lures but he le tme go at it because he knew i would get it eventually. Today we fish side by side most of the time and he no longer has to take care of me anymore. He set himself up for less work in the future. I am glad you have patience because i lack that most of the time with people only becasue i get it and they dont but i have to rember how long ti took me to get to that stage. I am sure he will love fishing chuck just stick with it buddy. YOu are doing a truely great thing and God will give it back to you in the end 10 fold.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

C7, You really are a great man, i have no patience what so ever so i take my hat off to you. We are wanting kids so it is something i have to work on..
Old 06-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Chuck, I didn't know this about you. All the more respect towards ya. I've no experience dealing with this but I have been around small children sometimes when fishing. You're a much better fisherman than I am so you may not have this problem...but it's likely you'll eventually have one of those days you expect to be great but NOTHING bites!!! Keep something as a backup plan...like keeping some kind of target on hand that you can throw out on the water and just play casting games with. Or brush up on different kinds of knots you can teach him when the going gets slow (depending on the child this could be really interesting or flat-out torture). Beyond that, all the advice I can think of would be second nature to you already since you're a teacher.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate the encouragement guys. He drives my wife nuts so I offer to babysit him at the fishing hole..He has to be adult supervised till he is 18.A couple of times while reeling in the shiner to check and see if the fish was still alive..a bass would chase it to the boat and attack it as we were pulling it in..We play lots of games out there Soilarch..Fact ,,I use humor alot.Today...when the bobber would start to move we would make the Jaws movie sound..Da da da DA DA ..

When fishing with Matt we have serious casting contest..the loser buys lunch...We have 2 categories...accuracy...distance
[8D]

My son from Guantanomo Bay is home. I plan to take him fishing Monday...I'll post some pics.I'm setting him in the back with 3 doaen shiners and I'm rubber worming aand cranking the front..The Rooster tail will let me know how deep the area is thus adjusting the bobber. Now..when we hit July...we will get real serious again.

Quick Reply: I'm trying to get my son addicted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.