Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catching Catfish

Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 AM

Default RE: Catching Catfish

I was up at the campground taking junk up for my party in a couple weekends and decided tot ake a walk around the pond (They call it a lake but its a pond) and saw a few of the catfish that are in the pond. They were in the swimming area. Im not allowed to fish for them there but i counted about 15 mixed in with the other fish species. I cant wait to go try to catch them.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Well i just got back from the campground and i only caught 1 catfish. It was about 15in. I spent around 6 hour fishing for them using fresh fish for bait and nightcrawlers. I caught 26 bass on the rig i had for catfish. I was using a spinner to try to catch bass or whatever to wast time waiting for catfish and caught my only catfish on a yellow roostertail.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

What time were you fishing for them?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM

From about 930pm or 10pm until 1am on Fri and Sat.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

retaks...try chicken liver next time. can find it in the super markets with the meats. not chicken gizzards...make sure its liver. its like a dollar a pound or something..just hook it a couple times and throw it out to the bottom.

what kinda catfish was it?? still guessing they are channel cats...if so i found chicken liver hard to beat with nightcrawlers a close second when they are in the mood for them...i usually take both and see what they want that night and fish that bait. both keep forever in the fridge and are cheap...i havent found anything better for channel cats
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

indianahunter83- Yeah, Im still trying to get into the habit of not setting the hook with circle hooks. It is so hard not to since that it has always been a must in good setting.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

just like mauser said in a pond like that chicken livers should bring home the bacon
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a little tip if you use chicken livers, they can sometimes be a pain to keep on the hook so what i do is take some old pantyhose and cut to size and put the liver intie it up and place on the hook! Good Luck! ohh..... some butchers at the market have chicken livers and junk that they sell just for catfishin might be something to check out??
Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM

Yea i will give chicken livers a try. Im not sure what kind of catfish it was. I really dont know much about them.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

generally for catfishing 10 to 15 lbs line is sufficient. Ive landed some rather large fish on 10 lbs test I once landed a 16 lbs halibut on 10 lbs test. and Ive seen some reel miracles like my buddy rob landed a 33 lbs flathead on 6 lbs test. for 24 to 40 inch catfish id probably go with 12 or 14 lbs line and call it good. alot of us have 20+ lbs line on our cat fish rigs but thats usually because were after big boys in the rivers and are expecting 30+ lbs flatheads.

Quick Reply: Catching Catfish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.