Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Questions...

Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Questions...

Ok well I'm only 20 but I have been fishing since about 12 but I'm kinda new to catching big bass.... Anyway while fishing this weekend we got into alot of big bass and I had two different times that I had on a fish that would prolly go anywhere from 5-8lbs, both times I hooked them out about 30 feet from the boat and one jumped out of the water and spit my lure out about 10ft from the boat and the other about 3 ft from the boat.. I am just wondering why they are spitting them out, does that mean I didn't have my hook set well enough or they aren't sharp enough or what? And I am wondering what brand and or size of hooks do yal reccomend for fishing with all kinds ofplastic worms and ect...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Questions...

I use what I have. When I moved ot Florida I was introduced to the Mustad worm hook. I generally fish with a 6 " worm so I use a #3 hook..If I go to a 7 inch worm I use a #4 I bought a lot of 100 from Bass Pro for 5.00 in each size. I don't use a bullet sinker..instead I pinch a BB shot above the hook and slide the worm over the BB...How? before I put the worm on a make a small hole in the head of the worm with a micro screwdriver..The worm fits snuggly over the BB shot.

If I was rich I'd buy the Gamakatsu worm hooks..They are very sharp..and yes, check your hooks often for bent points etc.

Bringing the fish in...Keep your rod bent.....don't give them any slack what soever. When they start jumping I keep the rod tip down toward the water..this helps eliminate jumping.
Also ...don;t horse the fish in..the bent rod will keep him or her on.

Here is a pic ofa Mustad worm hook..

Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fishing and hooking into the Atlantic Salmon has taught me alot from big fish jumping out of the water.

#1 Do not horse the fish in as Chuck stated.

#2 Keep your drag low enough so the fish can play it out.( just becarefull it is not to low)

#3 I like to keep the rod tip up and when you feel those bruins coming up to jump drop the rod tip as it starts to fall back. Thsi trick helps to keep the fish's weight from pulling against your line. But, as Chuck stated keep your line tight. By doing this the fish is falling with your rod tip.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

-hooks: eagle claw, gamakatsu, and mustad hooks
-plastics: frogs, senko worms, and tubes
-crankbaits
rods: get a team daiwa rod
reel: get a quantum pt spinning reel
Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 AM

-hooks: eagle claw, gamakatsu, and mustad hooks
-plastics: frogs, senko worms, and tubes
-crankbaits
rods: get a team daiwa rod
reel: get a quantum pt spinning reel

More like

Hooks: If you are serious about fishing then Gamajatsu is the only way to go and they aren't much more expensive... probably 1 dollar more.
Rods: use whatever rod you like
Reels: Use whatever reel you like but a baitcaster is much better for fighting the bigger bass... want proof look how many pro's fish baitcasters

As far as not horsing the bass in that is debatable. The more you play a fish out the more chances it has to throw the hook. When I hook into a bigger bass I get him in as soon as possible. Its the little ones I play out and hope they throw the hook so I don't have to mess with them. Once again going back to what pro's do is that unless they are using light line they get those bass in as fast as possible and I guarantee you they have 100 times more knowledge than any of us!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I hook into a bigger bass I get him in as soon as possible.

I have lost a good many fish trying to do this before and not anymore. I like to play them out for a while.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen Phil...Fihsing with Shiners lately, Matt and I have both learned that..Our goal is to get that fish in the boat..As a fishermen you've got to know your reel , rod and line real good. It becomes an extention of your own body..you know just how much drag is required and how to steer that fish away from the trolling motor . Last week I was bringing them in simply with my thumb and index finger..It's all about feel. And diffently use that Palomar knot..that made the difference for me this year..On braid the Trilene knot/ improved clinch will actually weaken the knot..I've had no more line breaks using the Palomar knot....

Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 AM

I just do what the pro's do
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

when a good fish is about to jump, I lower my rod tip UNDER the water and push downward pressure on the fish.