Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catfish

Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Catfish

You'll have to go see it at a friends or on some other PC maybe. I'm not that computer savvy either. Lots of good fights, very informative, and even some action w/catfish on fly-rod[8D]. Shows where I do alot of my fishin in the summer...... from shore[&o]. With a boat you can smash'em, mobility is an awesome asset on the river. I'm heaving some big weight and can go a long ways out but can't always hit that seam. I can prolly get 50-70yds...... just a guess tho.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey yes- That reminds me my daughter just got some high speed internet axess line of some kind( she lives in the city)- when i do get back home in a few weeks i will go there& check it out(it does sounds like a good vedio clip)thanks.

I did notice in your first post ya used 3-4 oz sinker yeps.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the heaviest I can find. I used to use the tear drop style but got the tombstones this yr. For shore fishing they stick much better. I'd like to check out the pyramid style as well. What does your rig consist of?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

My equipment is just kinda a mishmash of this &that for the most part- its only been lately( last few yrs) that i/ westarted catfishing.

I was using just # 4 ?size bait hooks & worms- but i was losing quite a fish then when i stared using cut up sunfish as bait- as they werntt big enough when buried into a good chunk of fish to hook them.

But i had on hand some bigger long shank bait hooks & bigger treble hooks i had on hand i had bought in bulk packs online from probass shop.

I did cut off the one hook on those treble hooks- just to make it easyier to remove them.

I did also have some of those pyramid sinkers in 1 oz size that i use that i found localy for a good price.

Its a large manmade lake im fishing no current really & i fish from shore always also( a few boat launch areas is where we fish)- tho id love to have a boat & cover some area myself - the lake has some great looking shoreline& many islands ya cant get to without a boat.

I did do a lot of nite fishing from shore as a kid& when younger- but that was for walleyes& bass only tho back then & we used rapala type lures for that.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Reading the other thread on rigs maybe you ment reels/poles also when asking i relize now also.

Really didnt buy much to just catfish with- just use mostly what i have had for yrs - spinning rods& reels most have 15 lb test on them& 6-61/2 med action ft rods etc a few closed face reels also( have a heavyier boat rod& reel(a abu) i leave in wy tho so far.

Looking at State records for here on tackle looks like that 15 lb line maybe lacking some& not idealy suited to the job if i do tie into one of the big cats

channel cat 38 lbs
flathead 80 lbs
Blue 116 lbs
gator gar 215 lbs(240 on unrestricted tackle)

Old 05-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Knightia

First gar -its a spotted gar( second one we let go as we hadent eatin the first one ..yet) 2nd one was a longnose type.

Havent got a gator gar... yet.

You let one go! Around here people kill them anyway possible. The water's getting warm enough now that some places you can't fish with live bait because the [email protected]#$% things hit every bait you drop into the water usually cutting off your terminal tackle with their teeth! They are a pretty good fight and I will be going after them just for the sport and to try and thin some out of my catfish holes. Caught one last night about 3 feet, but there was some 5foot ones rolling. I'm trying to come up with a sure hook rig as most steal your bait and not get hooked. The frazzled rope trick hasn't worked for me so far.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep im thowing em back if im not eating them.

Ya i think they where the ones also messing up my baits& lines to at times to.
Just like the water turtles do at times. But its ok.

Last one that i let go wasnt hooked either- tho that one above was( he did break the line- but was halfway on shore by then& did almost get away.

May i suggest dymamite on wire leaders?

I had heard/read of that rope thing - but never tryed it.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using 20lbs (mono)main line and 25lbs (mono)lead.I tie all my own rigs and taylor the hook size to the size of bait. Lead lengths are also dictated by current strength.I like spinning rods and have an Walmart special Mako-Calypso 7or 7.5' med- heavy w/ a fairly soft tip. I like the forgiveness of this set-up, the stretch of mono and a soft tip but strong enough to control the fish. For a reel I use a Quantum Blue runner I think BRF 60, it holds 210yds of 20lbs test and 240-14. I have used 25lbs test for main line but didn't get a very smooth cast and alot less distance. 25 mono is a little much for this rod, but the wife used 50lbs braid for awhile until it burned a hole in an eye when she fighting a REALLY good fish, broke the line too. No matter she only had 15yds left until she hit the backing-20lbs mono
Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a good set up- but that penny looks funny)

Sounds like one big ol fish she tied into breaking that braided 50 lb line~!

( wheres the hole for the sinker?)
Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Knightia

Reading the other thread on rigs maybe you ment reels/poles also when asking i relize now also.

Really didnt buy much to just catfish with- just use mostly what i have had for yrs - spinning rods& reels most have 15 lb test on them& 6-61/2 med action ft rods etc a few closed face reels also( have a heavyier boat rod& reel(a abu) i leave in wy tho so far.

Looking at State records for here on tackle looks like that 15 lb line maybe lacking some& not idealy suited to the job if i do tie into one of the big cats

channel cat 38 lbs
flathead 80 lbs
Blue 116 lbs
gator gar 215 lbs(240 on unrestricted tackle)

think those are big then look them up for texas especially on the alligator gar

Quick Reply: Catfish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.