Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Catfish

Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Catfish

looks like a good time to me!! i cant wait...probably start chasin cats here in a couple weeks. i gotta order a couple new rods and reels, hooks, sinkers and leader line...i want to get pretty serious about it this year...last year i just got into chasing the bigger cats...im hooked. i used to enjoy chucking chicken liver and reeling in 1-5lb channels left and right..till i started fishing live creek chubs and bring in 10+lb flatheads and channels that are 5+ as well...cant wait for this year...nothin like the lantern hissing on the dark river bank on a warm summer night and rods folding in half as one takes the bait!!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mauser06

looks like a good time to me!! i cant wait...probably start chasin cats here in a couple weeks. i gotta order a couple new rods and reels, hooks, sinkers and leader line...i want to get pretty serious about it this year...last year i just got into chasing the bigger cats...im hooked. i used to enjoy chucking chicken liver and reeling in 1-5lb channels left and right..till i started fishing live creek chubs and bring in 10+lb flatheads and channels that are 5+ as well...cant wait for this year...nothin like the lantern hissing on the dark river bank on a warm summer night and rods folding in half as one takes the bait!!
Lets give a big amen to that!! One of the most relaxing placesa personcan be. Lifetime memories that always bring up a smile come from such places. The sounds of frogs, crickets, owls, things splashing out in the dark, and that good old coleman lantern burning is almost a religious experience. I think I'll go tonight.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the weather is OK I'm packing my tent tonight. Campfire a couple cold ones and good friends....... not to mention 'Sumo Kitties'
Old 05-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep its a good time that nite fishing i agree- i like it a bit-i have been doing a little lately going for cats( not having a whole lota luck but still fun) Just catching a few small flatheads or channel cats.
It is how i caught my first gar while catfishing & tryed for another gar & got one after that also.

Found this one in the kitchen sink along with some dirty dishs
( the mate is also a very good fish cleaner)

We been keeping a eye out for the water mocs/cotton mouths "down here" including at nite( dont know how nocturnal they are-we dont have much experence with them either)

Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

First gar -its a spotted gar( second one we let go as we hadent eatin the first one ..yet) 2nd one was a longnose type.

Havent got a gator gar... yet.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should add i had to dr that cat photo( orders[:-]) as the dirty dishs we showing.
And the mate caught the 2nd gar herself.

We dont use our lantern much just a few headlamps we switch on now& then to check things or to bait up etc.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those Gar look interesting. We don't have them up here. What do they fight like?
Night fishing for me means campfire unless I'm in city limits. The regs on don't allow you to keep any fish over 24" here, so if I want to catch something for food I have to fish inside the city...... that way I get a good mix of sizes. The smallest I've caught near the dam on the N'ern portion of the river was 26". Inside the city i still have a good chance to catch a few big ones but they don't stack up like on the N side of the dam. More pics to follow........ hope.[8D]
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those gars are good strong fighers they even jumped a bit& are hardy intresting lookingfish i think.( very tough skins[])

Im in the south by the way right now-not Wy at the moment.( we drove a long longway to fish)- been here about 80 or so days now& will be leaving soon for Ky.
In Wy we ussally just catch mostly all rainbows( tho there are a few places that have channel cats& some other species in the state)Areyall in N dakota?

Good luck to you& everyone else- would love to see more pictures.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Manitoba Canada........ Red River North. I couldn't find the link on the gander mountain site but this is the info that I have. Hope you can find the vid its pretty[8D]
mms://stream.gandermountain.com/GanderWeLiveOutdoors/WLO0610/0610_384K_Stream_Red_River_Cats.wmv
Old 05-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for posting that link Sandi- i can hardly get it to play tho- (i can see a few still frames& hear some audio tho. Does look nice.

I think its my phone lines mostly( maybe the pc to>?)- i am now connected at 19.2 kbps- same thing happens back home on that pc also or when i try to view any vedio on line& off the net[&o]
...... edit...
Ops correction im connected at 21.6 kbps this time( dosnt ge much faster then that even back in Wyoming)- i dont know a whole lot about pc ,s , or phone line speeds or the playing of video clips etc- just know they dont play very well aat all.( i assume its the phone line speeds tho& not so much the pc)

Quick Reply: Catfish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.