Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I love Abug Garcia!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 AM

Default I love Abug Garcia!

So after 7+ years of abuse on my Ambassadeur Ultra Cast it finally decided to stop working. Basically what was happening was that the line guide would stick on one side of the reel building the line up crooked. After taking it apart and comparing the parts with my Ambassadeur Record I found out the part that had just slightly broken. I called Abu Garcia and low and behold they still have parts for an ultracast! To sum it all up I have gotten over 7 years of use on an amazing reel and its only costing me $2.75 to fix it.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I love Abug Garcia!

They are one of the cadillacs of baitcasters i love the ambassadeurs
Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ofcourse the part is still available its a line guide pawl its interchangable with all abu garcia baitcasters they also work in daiwa baitcasters too. I keep a few extras in my tackle box never know when you might need one. also if you add 3 drops of abu garcia reel oil to the worm gear every fishing trip that guide pawl will last alot longer. I have an abu garcia USA 500 reel that is about 15 years old and its been fished hard its sees probably atleast 30 casts a fishing trip and I go fishing atleast 50 times a year and by using regular maintainance and proper lubrication ive only had to change the line guide pawl once.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Not only is it interchangeable through out Abu Garcia but you can take one out of basically any other baitcaster you own. To hold me over until the new one got here I took apart one of my old junk baitcasters and "borrowed" its pawl. I'm just happy it is only costing me 3 bucks to fix and that dealing with Abu Garcia to get said part was quick and painless.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

hard too beat, i consider them the workhorse of reels, i have bought others that cast a little futher (not 200$ futher though[:@][:-]) and felt a little smoother, but one thing about abu garcia, YOU CAN STILL GET PARTS!!!!!, i use 4500-4600's some are 20+ years olds, for me, nothing has beat them yet, try to find parts for any other 20 year old reel out there, and the price is still fair

Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I hope opinions are acceptable...cause I don't like them..

Why not??/

a. Too heavy when pitching and flipping compared to my other reels..They weigh twice as much as my Pennacle.

b. They hold too much line.. I can fill 2 of my reels for 130 yds,,but only one Garcia..

c. More difficult to adjust the drag..has only one adjustment..

My son has one. I used it some last week.I've also had one and used it quite a bit..Back in their day they were Top Shelf...but today..in my humble opinon there are better reels for the same money..like that Finesse Pinacle I just bought.That is just my opinon...I hope I wasn't too over bearing
Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

alrighty chuck gonna have to pick on you a little

a. Too heavy when pitching and flipping compared to my other reels..They weigh twice as much as my Pennacle. you wimpJ/K i know a lot of folks hate them because of there size[:@], they are a little big for most folks hands, including mine, i just hate buying reels and 3-5 years down the line you cant get or find parts[:@]and it's about all i have ever used, so i am used too them. no doubt there are better reels (as far as casting and smoothness), but as far as durability and parts availibility, they are hard to beat

b. They hold too much line.. I can fill 2 of my reels for 130 yds,,but only one Garcia..i onlyrespool about half of my capacity, using the line on the "center" of the spool for backingBTW if you find a line you really like you should buy bulk spools and keep them in a climate controlled enviroment, you'll save money big time in the long run, like i get 1# spools of big game, to buy those in filler packs would cost a mint,

c. More difficult to adjust the drag..has only one adjustment..how many adjusments do you need????[&:]

My son has one. I used it some last week.I've also had one and used it quite a bit..Back in their day they were Top Shelf...but today..in my humble opinon there are better reels for the same money..like that Finesse Pinacle I just bought.That is just my opinon...I hope I wasn't too over bearing

check back with me in twenty years, and see how its working or if you can still get parts for itthat my friend is called the "test of time"

Old 05-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Dominant Buck

alrighty chuck gonna have to pick on you a little
I'll fight you anytime ...with my keyboard..[8D]but not in person..You look like a seasoned bulldog.

a. Too heavy when pitching and flipping compared to my other reels..They weigh twice as much as my Pennacle. you wimpJ/K i know a lot of folks hate them because of there size[:@], they are a little big for most folks hands, including mine, i just hate buying reels and 3-5 years down the line you cant get or find parts[:@]and it's about all i have ever used, so i am used too them. no doubt there are better reels (as far as casting and smoothness), but as far as durability and parts availibility, they are hard to beat maybe so...but I've never had problems finding parts..last year I had an OLD open face Zebco I loved. Through the unternet I found 1 place that carried a bail spring..Honestly...he sent it to me for FREE...I couldn't beleive it.

b. They hold too much line.. I can fill 2 of my reels for 130 yds,,but only one Garcia..i onlyrespool about half of my capacity, using the line on the "center" of the spool for backingBTW if you find a line you really like you should buy bulk spools and keep them in a climate controlled enviroment, you'll save money big time in the long run, like i get 1# spools of big game, to buy those in filler packs would cost a mint, I know about that..what do you think I am ....some dip stick or something..I've been fishing before you got out of diapers..

c. More difficult to adjust the drag..has only one adjustment..how many adjusments do you need????[&:]Oh ,big tough guy huh...Garcia lacks that nice little magnetic drag on the left..Instead they have that one bolt like thing on the right..which if you turn just a micro tad too much can cause the loss of that 14.00 Power pro line..Too be honest with ya..I wouldn't spool one up if you gave me one..The gloves just came off big man.[:@]They are a big hunk of Swedish tin. Back in the 1960s...ok, but my friend we've moved into the space age of finer stronger marterials...with 6-9 bearings and a super high retrieve ratio..Tell me...do you have a Garcia on that custom rod you use??? I trust not.

check back with me in twenty years, and see how its working or if you can still get parts for itthat my friend is called the "test of time"Keith...show me a pic of the 4 baitcasters you use the most..I bet none of them are Garcias...
I know mine aren't they would be...
1. Pinnacle
2. Quantum
3.Quantum
4.Quantum

God bless friend...I'm glad we did that. Good exercise.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

What Color?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

For some reason I was expecting that picture today..I was thinking about ya going to Walmart 30 minutes ago..
c7

Quick Reply: I love Abug Garcia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.