Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Worst place you been hooked? >

Worst place you been hooked?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Worst place you been hooked?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Worst place you been hooked?

In the end of the finger with a treble, it was in a place i couldnt pull the string trick, but hey we tried i puched down and my dad yanked ughhh strike one again ughhh strike two nopw dad youre not gettin a strike three come on there is a medac at teh boat ramp allright one more try ughhhhhhhhh strike three come on wer going to the medac
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default t

I tried to catch a pop r' that I had popped too hard I got two of the three hooks in my hand, and to add insult to injury it was during a tourny, luckly my boater was nice enough to pull it out.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

The worst place that I have been hooked is up under my finger nail. I was trying to get a hook out of the back of a catfishes throat and while I was pushing on the hook trying to remove it the fish flopped and my finger slipped onto the hook going up under my fingernail just a little past the barb. Did a little at home surgery and worked it out finally.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Been hooked in the hands and fingers a few times and either cut the barbs off or did the string trick which works really well. When I was a kid I hooked my dog in the ear...boy that was a trick getting that out.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i caught a treble hook somewhere...the shock of it blacks me out i wanna say it was my foot or leg. but i generally always fish in boots and pants..maybe i didnt that day. i think i went to cast and just burried it clean upto the bend. burried. that didnt hurt toooo bad. but i kinda did the string technic, with pliers. whereever i was hooked the skin gave INCHES...it was sickening how far my skin gave. i bent the hook out to "release the barb" and yanked...first time me and my buddy watched the skin give inches..sickening. he couldnt watch...i thought he was gunna pass out..city kid that just came along for the ride i guess..never seen anything like that...i finally did get it out...now that i think about it i think it was on the front of my ankle above my shoe line..musts have been in shorts and shoes that day...
Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya my dog went through my spilt tackle box and got three or two of the hook stuck in his nose. and boy was i scared to go get him and have to clip them since its the most sensitive part of their body and they were trebles
Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive put a rat-l-trap through my cheek-chin area and yes it did hurt but i guess i was lucky it went all the way through and i was able to vut the barb off and pull it back through!..........................WHAT IS THE STRING TRICK YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT????Could someone explain??

Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM

When I was a kid I hooked my dog in the ear...boy that was a trick getting that out.
My old dog happened to get hit by a missed hook set by a zara puppy. It stuck in his fur on his side and he leaned back and tried to bite the thing... BAD IDEA. I spent the next 3 hours trying to unhook my dog. (Biggest animal caught of the day though)
Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

the worst one i can remember was having a 4 pound bass flopping around with one of the trebbles stuck in him and the other stuck in the palm of my hand, man you talk about sore[:-][:@]

WHAT IS THE STRING TRICK YOU ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT????Could someone explain??
here is the best thing i could find, i have used it and like it the best, notice in one part it mentions you need nerves of steel, well i do much better pulling/yanking it out than i do driving it on thru, especially around fingernails

A less well-known technique for removing fishhooks was first described in 1961 by Dr. Cooke. (4) He had seen commercial fishermen in New Zealand remove hooks from themselves using only a piece of string. Nobody knows how long they have been using this technique, or who should be credited for its invention. But as Cooke pointed out, "fishers have long used the string flick technique because it allows them to remove the hook, dip the finger in the sea, and carry on fishing within a minute." (4 ) Dr. Cooke, a general practitioner from south Australia, published his account in an article titled, "How to remove fish hooks with a bit of string." Since then, it has been described multiple times with a few slight variations. (5,6,7,8) The basic principle is as follows (see figure 3):
[*]A piece of strong string/suture is tied to the bend of the hook.[*]The shank of the hook is depressed to disengage the barb.[*]While the shank is being depressed, the string is given a hard, sharp, decisive jerk in the direction in which the hook entered the skin. This extracts the hook along the path of entry. [/ol]

Figure 3
A
B
C

Since its initial description, this string technique has become the preferred method of fishhook removal for many emergency medicine and family physicians. (5,6,9) Some have proclaimed that all you need is a length of string and nerves of steel, deferring the use of local anesthetic. Several authors state that when the technique is performed correctly, it is "painless". (10) However, most authors do recommend the use of local anesthetics. (1,2,3,5,8, etc.) I would assert that for the uninitiated physician, the anesthetic will put him at ease as much as the patient.
Several clinicians report uniform success using the string technique. One author noted that of the 32 fishhook injuries that presented to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in south Australia in a one-year period, 26 of the 32 were successfully removed with the string method. The author presumed that the 6 failures were due to a "half-hearted" attempt on the part of the attempting doctor. (12)
The major benefits of the string removal method include minimizing the size of the wound, and limiting the contaminated field. (1,12) Obviously the traditional method creates additional trauma to the tissues as the hook is advanced through the skin to penetrate at a second location. (13) The string method usually does not enlarge the wound track or extend the point of entry if the barb of the hook has been properly disengaged with downward pressure on the shank of the hook. (12) Another benefit is the option of quickly removing a fishhook without anesthetic if you find yourself presented with an impaled person while minding your own business at a park or a lake. Dr. S. S. David of south Australia goes so far as to tout that this method has the benefit of not ruining the fisherman’s favorite lure by cutting off a barb. (12) Though cutting away the excess hooks (those not embedded) from a lure before yanking on it with a string, seems prudent to myself and others. (11)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

String Trick
OK I'm on a break so I got to type fast...

1. Hook is in your finger.
2. The barb is usually 1/16 of an inch from the shank.
3. Wrap your mono around the hook shank about 1/16th of an inch thick.
4. Your shank should be full of mono 1/16th of an inch thick.
from the place where it entered your finger to teh eye of the hook

5. Now the pain.[]
Slide the string {that is tightly wound} through your finger following all the way to the barb.

6.Pushing against the barb..you now have no barb. The line has tasken up that space.

7 Grit your teeth and pull the hook out the way it went in.

8. With the barb trapped by your tightly wound string it will now come out.

Quick Reply: Worst place you been hooked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.