Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 How thick do you call safe ice? >

How thick do you call safe ice?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

How thick do you call safe ice?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How thick do you call safe ice?

ORIGINAL: psychobubba

Hey minnesotans isn't this exactly what our dnr hands out.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 PM

We have about 8 inches here but I like to have atleast 5 inches to walk on just because the thought of drowning in an ice cold pond is well pretty damn scary!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last Sunday on Hamilton (IN), I saw 7" of black ice splitting underneathmy feet. I got the eff out of that spot.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

The thickness of ice can be deceaving as the temps and weather plays a large roll in it. Here last year with some snow cover and warm temps had a quite a few people fooled. The snow held water as it melted and the water sunk into the ice. This process made the ice rot even though there was still 14" to a foot of ice more than a few fourwheelers went into the water. So other factors need to be considered when judging ice thickness as well. With March coming up and hopefully some great temps as well be carefull and good luck ice fishing.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

For me..never thick enough to drive on....I wouldn't do the following for 50,000 dollars

1. Ride on a roller coaster

2, Drive on ice.

3. jump from a plane

4. go higher than 20 feet in my Summit

5. Go to a denist unless EXTREMEMELY necessary/
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

For walking as long as it isn't cracking below me I will be out on the ice. I fished last season on 2" for the entire day. I won't take any 4 wheeler on the ice till we have a solid 5".
Old 02-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go out on ice unless I see a vehicle out there.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 PM

well where i was this past weekend was 3ft. thick,..,now i feel safe., travisville ,that is what the mn dnr puts in the papers., you are right ., i will go out on the ice at 6inches of good ice with the atv., but for me to drive my 4x4 truck it has to be 2 to 3 feet thick ., thats just me .,
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

2" -3" if it is black ice and no snow so I can see what I am walking on. 6" for my wheeler and 8-10" for my truck. This time of the year isn't a problem since we have 15" to 25" in most places. The trick is getting the last few days out of the season at the end (late March or early April)when the fishing is great. There is good ice and places to walk but it goes south even during a day.What was good ice in the morning can be bad at the end of the day. The good thing is we are usually chasinggills and crappie in the shallow weedy bays and if you do take a bath it isn't all that difficult to get out. Ice picks and a safety vest is the uniform of the day for all of us serious commercial fishermen.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

in Alberta in mid Jan. on we dont worry about it if theres other people on with their vehicals. just went ice fishing for pearch a while ago and there is still a meter if ice. my dad burried the auger until we finally broke through. About a foot makes it safe to drive, but youd want at least 3 to walk on.

Quick Reply: How thick do you call safe ice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.