Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best Line

Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Line

Just curious - what is the best line out there for bass fishing? Looking for tough line - Mostly open water stumps, rock beds andflippin heavy cover!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Line

best line?, i hear people recomend line i wouldn't put on a weed-eater, some lines have unbelieveable stretch in them, others say some lines have too much memory, others say a particular line is too brittle, keep in mind it is possible to get a bad spool of line, i bought a 1200yrd spool once i could break with my hands, the line looked like it had been under a heat lamp for a year or two[:@][:-], lines are like boats everybody is making better lines, i have even heard that some of the bass pro and cabelas brand are decent(although i'm sure they are probably made by stren or berkley or some other big name manufactor) but since you ask here are my favorites...

mono i like berkley big game in green,braid i like power pro, flurocarbon the jury is still out, most of the fluro's i have tried seem brittle,, but i don't fish ultra clear water so fluro has not been that big a deal for me, some are saying it's the stuff for clear water, low light refraction i think is the big plus
Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Dominant Buck

best line?, i hear people recomend line i wouldn't put on a weed-eater,
MTHands

From a man who usesa weed eatter alot that is very funny.
If you have a baitcaster you won't go wrong with Stren Super Braid.
Sold at Walmart for about 13.00 a spool. I fish very heavy cover. No break offs yet and 20 pound test looks like 6 pound test. Cast good. I have not tried this on anything but a bait caster though. I've used it flipping and casting. I've only used it for worming and weedless spinnner baits.
Chuck7
Old 07-20-2006, 02:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

If you have a baitcaster you won't go wrong with Stren Super Braid.
Sold at Walmart for about 13.00 a spool. I fish very heavy cover. Chuck7
Same here Chuck!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

power pro braid sold at walmart for 11 bucks lol
Old 07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

You know what One shot. After hearing you talk about it on line here I took a spool out of the package at Walmart. Side by side it looks like Stren Power Braid. maybe a little more stiffer ..maybe.
C7
Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have tried it not as strong this comes from the tackle shop owner who isnt sponsered by either and he knows his stuff power pro is 9 strand i think stren is 7 more strand braid = stronger
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

OK ..the next time I buy a braid I'll go ahead and get the Power braid. It did feel a little stiffer. Stren Braid is impossible to get out of a knot. In other words sometimes when pitching, your line may wrap around the tip eyelet. LOL You may as well cut your line because you can't unravel a Stren braid knot. That is the only negative I have with the stuff. It can dig into the spool but not bad. I can cast it pretty good. BUT...if you get a knot..save yourself a stress attack. Cut the line and retie.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Never used braided line - Do you use your regular knot or is there a specific way you like to tie braided line - I double the line pass through the hook and back over the hook - pull - there is a specific name for the knot but it's late? how does it do with rod guides -

I wonder how many pros use the braided line?

The best mono would be ?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

for fluro I use berkley vanish, the verdict is still out for braid either spider or firewire

Quick Reply: Best Line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.