Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Looking for a boat.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Looking for a boat.

What would be a good fishing boat to get. I thought its time to get out in a boat.

Any info on the best boats or which you think are the best.

Were getting a boat most definitley, but dad and i would like to see what you guys would have to say.

Thanks,

Cam
Old 06-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a boat.

I personally feel aluminum fishing boats like bass tracker, lowe, fisher etc are the best fishing boats. aluminum is very low maintanence and are very tough and dont have gel coats to worry about scuffing or scratching like on fiberglass boats.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 AM

What kind of fishing will you be doing? Ponds? Lakes? Rivers?

Mark
Old 06-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

What kind of fishing will you be doing? Ponds? Lakes? Rivers?
need to know more about these things, BTW i run a fiberglass bass boat, but my old aluminum bass traker tournament tx 17 caught a lot more fish[&o][:-]
Old 06-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

fiberglass = comfort and style
Aluminum = easy matinence and can get beat up a lil bit more

jsut depends
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 AM

Lakes & Ponds.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Hard to getbig boats on a farm pond. I'd either keep fishing them from the bank or pick up a good used john boat and get a motor guide trolling motor. I don't like min kota's. Motor guide's are built a lot better. You can even get a $20 bracket from cabelas so you can use the transom mount on the front of the john boat.

John boats are to small for most lakes. I'd recoment 16-18 foot boat. You can get an alumiunm boat like a bass tracker that would work good. Or you can go with something like a Ranger. The boats like the Rangers are more versatile. They are alot faster.You can ski behind them better. They handle rough water a whole lot better. The bass trackers will take some rough water, but they will beat you to death doing it. If your just wanting a fishing boat though, get a good used tracker, lowe or fisher. I think the Lowe's or Fishers are built a little better than the tracker. Heavier hull material and stuff. You might want to go talk with a local marine shop. They can point you in the right direction and might even know of some for sale.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Lakes & Ponds.
Nutz4bucks

I fish lakes and ponds. Here in Floridathey call a one acre body of water a lake. So if your talking tiny lakes and ponds ...get at least a 14 foot aluminum. I have a 10 foot and it is really cramped. For one person it's ok if the lakes are not too big. For 2 people a 14 is a nice sized. Diffently aluminium IMHO A motor between 9.9 and 15 would be sufficent.
I would go with alumaweld type boats. They are stronger , hold more weight and shake less when standing up in them.

I'm planning to move on a large lake if my wife and I get hired this week.The lake isyearly proclaimed to one of the best big bass lakes in our state. I will probably be looking for a bigger boat for this 7500 acre lake. I plan to get a modest 14 -16 foot quality aluminum with at least a 25 H.P. Th elake I may be fishing is Lake Walk in the Water,
Magazine Article
Lake Walk-In-Water certainly has its share of 10-pound and above bass. However, most bass caught will vary from two to four pounds, with a liberal number of five to seven pounders mixed in for good measure. A particularly pleasing bonus for those fishing here is the impressive number and size of chain pickerel. One Florida writer who recently fished Lake Walk-In-Water with a pair of tournament competitors said his trio "accumulated more chain pickerel in one day than I've ever seen."
Seems that in addition to catching and releasing 62 bass between two and six pounds that day, they also connected with 18 chain pickerel that scaled between two and five pounds. Watch out Josh.
c7
Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

If your straped for cash..then you can usually find a 12 foot on the local paper rigged up for under 1000.
1. Make sure it doesn't leak.Fill with water
2. Hear the engine run. On the lake in gear. Some will idle. See it run.
Engine repairs are outrageous

So if you can get a rig with trailor for under 1000 snatch it up.
A 12 foot is ok and I've been taking folks out in my 10 footer but that is cramped.