Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Anti-backlash reel

Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Anti-backlash reel

Do any of you have one? If so what do you thing about them and do they work like they say. I can pickup a casting reel and get a backlash.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anti-backlash reel

ORIGINAL: Who

Do any of you have one? If so what do you thing about them and do they work like they say. I can pickup a casting reel and get a backlash.
All name brand casting reels have models withanti-back-lash features. Just make sure the one you pick has it!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he's talking about the ABU Garcia model. It does work, but your casting distance and accuracy goes WAY down.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:29 AM

I got the ambassadeur 4600 on a fenwick golden wing and it will pop the stop up if you whip it to fast..I got tired of that so I just run the line normal and turn off the anti backlash and use thatcombo just for catfish now...It does cast pretty far when the anti is turned off on it though...You need to set the brake for each diffrent lure you use..The lure should have a slow fall when you hit trigger and release it..If it falls to quickly and you cast to agressive with them they will backlash everytime on you if the brake isn't set right for your type of lure and casting...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:32 AM

nope my dont have one i have a diawa pro caster and abu gARCIA 3500
Old 06-16-2006, 02:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I got the ambassadeur 4600 on a fenwick golden wing and it will pop the stop up if you whip it to fast..I got tired of that so I just run the line normal and turn off the anti backlash and use thatcombo just for catfish now...It does cast pretty far when the anti is turned off on it though...You need to set the brake for each diffrent lure you use..The lure should have a slow fall when you hit trigger and release it..If it falls to quickly and you cast to agressive with them they will backlash everytime on you if the brake isn't set right for your type of lure and casting...
Daniel

I hear ya friend. I usually like to try a friends out befor eI invest. My son bought two tha the was having trouble with. I had him take both back. One was a Pinnacle ..where you had to disassemble it to set the drag.
Royal pain. Then he bought this 120.00 Diawa Gold royal pain. In baitcaster I fish Quatom...and rarely have a backlash and I cast him hard and far. The picture is the gray reel that is displaced in most Walmart cases .It sells for 55.00. I love mine. This one is about 6 years old. I rarely get backlashes on my Zebco Quantums.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Here are 3 more Quantums I use. The black one I bought off of Ebay. It was new. I should of ask more questions. The bearings are graphite sleeves instead of bearings..not good....so I have it full of Stren braid for flipping and pitching. The gold one I bought from a yard sale for about 5.00 AWESOME Reel . Has brass bearings and cast a mile.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

all great advice, time and practice will help more than anything, one other thing i didn't noticementioned, the wind will test your paitence beyond belief with a bait-caster, but once you get the "feel" you won't use anything else, i even throw small baits on them, spinning tackle feels really uncomfortable to me, i use all abu garcia 4500's and 4600's but i have owned a few of the quantums and really like them, i think my favorite one was a 1310mg
Old 06-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Dominant Buck

i think my favorite one was a 1310mg
Keith

That's what the gray one is ..a 1310 MG Magnum Gears. Goes on and on and on.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 PM

It would becool if they made a minnie version that could be used for trout fishing with really light lures or minnies..

Quick Reply: Anti-backlash reel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.