Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fishing Reel Review. Baitcasters Please >

Fishing Reel Review. Baitcasters Please

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing Reel Review. Baitcasters Please

Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Fishing Reel Review. Baitcasters Please

OK my favorite fishing reel is the Quantom 1310
The 60.00 one from Walmart. I use it on every fishing trip and this is my 4th year. Still cast great and has great drag. You can set it just right.
I've got 3 different gear ratio models for different lines and lures. One I bought fro a garage sale.It's the best one. The other I got from Ebay.Have not broken a spring yet. I do all my own reel cleaning. I still have not taken any of them apart.
Chuck7
PS I fish alot!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fishing Reel Review. Baitcasters Please

I'd be lying if I said that my favorite reel wasnt the Curado by Shimano. I have 19 *i think, it may be 20* of them and havent had a single problem with any of them. Durable as a tank, smooth, and a good drag. The only situation that I dont have a Curado for is finesse, which I use a Bass Pro Shops Pro Finesse setup. They are roughly the same price, but I can visably see and feel the Curado is a better reel.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

How much do they cost??
C7
Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM

I was raised on 5000/5500 ABUs in the 80s and used them mainly until I switched too Shimano Calcuttas in the mid 90s. Eventually the weight of those reels became to heavy for todays quality top end rods like T-series All Stars, GLoomis and St. Croix so I sold them all and went too low profiles a few years ago. I also switched because the extra weight was beginning to show on me after a day of fishing, my forearms and tendons would become sore after a day of hard fishing.

I switched too mainly Shimanos, I have several Cruados (200s and 100s), Chronarchs, Metanium XTs and my personal favs... the Curado SF. I actually don't like 6.3:1 ratios for most casting, I prefer something in the low too mid 5s (I switched the gears in my Chronarchs too 5.1). But Shimano doesn't make 5.1 gears for the SF reels, if they did I would have ALL Curado SF and I also like the Castaic SF, especially for worming/flipping. I also am not impressed with the new Curados, mainlybecause ofthe extra weight and the large price increase. A "Hot Sauced" Super Free is so smooth and free (casts farther than you can control the bait) I simply can't imagine anything any better feeling too me.

I have been playing around with Pflueger Trion and Presidents as well. They are great reels and after a few years of service they have become recommended by my localreel repairman (the TRUE test of quality IMHO).

I have a display cabinet in my trophy room that is FULL of old baitcasters from my youth and probably 2 dozen that I have bought on Ebay over the last couple of years. Many of those were reels I wanted as a kid in the 80s but couldn't afford them (like the old Mag series ABUs, Z ProCaster Daiwas and Shimano/Lews Speed Spools). They all are in excellent condition but when I pick them up and spin them they simply feel archaic compared too todays superzoom, dynawhoppin mechanical marvels!!!
RA
Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Chuck, I have Garcia #4600, #5000, #5600C4, #5601C4, #6600C4 and a Penn #955 and #965, these are allBait Cast.
I don't even know the Salt Water rod and reels I have. I been buying Taylor Made rods since 1950. I know I have Penn reels from the 1950's and also Mitchel Spinners in the 300 class.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was all about daiwa procasters but recently bought a couple quatum ex500cx reels off ebay. I like the way these quatums cast I dont really see myself buying daiwas again.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen Desert wolf.

I honestly used ot be real poor. My first reel were Diawa and the drags wore out and the bearings or graphite sleeve would get real sloopy.

Then for Christmas my wife bought me a Quantum 1310MGC
Walmart carrys them. I love it and picked up 2 more similiar ones.Different models.
WOW here are 3 on ebay for up to 20.00 so far..I've got the gold one on the right. Cast nice. I need to check them puppys out.I checked them out...nah we don't want them. One is for parts and the other 2 are worn. As much as I fish and probably you folks too I'd rather buy a new reel and let me wear it out.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a new reel at walmart last night ive been eyeing it for awhile now last night it looked at me and said buy me!! so i did its a Quantum UL300C baitcaster has only 3 ball bearings though but it sure is smooth feels just as smooth if not smoother then my 5 ball bearing quantum baitcasters. I spooled it up with 12 lb cajun red line and put her on one of my favored rods a 6' 6" med/heavy abu garcia tournament graphite rod the two together feel like they were meant to be. I hope this reel fishes as good as it feels wish me luck.