Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Hey .let's have a baitcasting reel review. >

Hey .let's have a baitcasting reel review.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Hey .let's have a baitcasting reel review.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Hey .let's have a baitcasting reel review.

We could alluse the same size worm and weight on our best casting rod. WE could measure the distance and record. This would be very helpful and helping people decide on which reel to buy and if it's worth the money.
Everyone must use the same worm size and weight..
Let's go with 1/4 ounce weight and 7 inch worm.I'll be using a Zoom.
Also record line . You can cast as much as you want.Record your best cast distance.Record reel used and price.

This can be fun and educatonal...I mean why spend 100 more if your reel only cast 10 more feet than my 60.00 one.[8D]
Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hey .let's have a baitcasting review.

WOW that was fun and educational. I used 2 quatums. A and B

A was one I got from Wally World. a 1310 MGC I love it 5.?? ratio worn off numbers .using a lightening rod..6' 4"
and B 6 ' Lightening rod with Quantum 381 reel paid 5.oo at a garage sale.
The winner was ....

Quantum 381

Distance 83 feet 6 " used a 100 foot tape {PleaseDO NOT guesstimate}
I'm very pleased with the results.20 feet farther than the newer 1310

sinker 1/4 pounce

7 inch worn out Zoom red shad

20 pound Power pro

bad part..super low gear ratio...made for big lipped crankbaits

Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's a side shot..nice reel for 5.00 no sloppy play, brass spool. LOL I just noticed the word Graphite bushings on it...I would not have bought it if I 'd seen that..and yet it's my best caster.go figure.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good idea. As soon as I start feeling better, I'll go measure the cast of all my reels. One thing that will affect distance is the size of the rods. Some of mine are designed for surf fishing. For instance the graphite rod is 9 foot and the ugly stick is 12 foot.

BTW my distances will be in yards not feet. Well, maybe not...I'm used to using 2 ounce weights on average and can make casts well over 100 yards. Using weights as small as you specified, Im not sure.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Give it your best shot...I'd love to know..I do know those Garcias are long distance casters..
Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 oz. weights are average, sometimes I use 4 oz. but it's just to hold bottom. When there is no current I use 1 oz. weights.Come ti think of it, my casts are about the same length no matter which weight I used.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Come ti think of it, my casts are about the same length no matter which weight I used. Thundermug

I'd like to see ya get 50 yds with a 1/4 ounce and 7 inch worm.
If so, let us know what reel you are using.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey folks,
Any gear ratio is good when a big bass is on..You won't be horsing it in anyway. I was using 3 different reels today. I caught decent fish on all 3. You still raise the rod. keep a tight line and do what ever it takes to land teh fish...and that is not horseing it.if it's 3 pounds or bigger..LOL
My ratios were just fine today.and an 85 feet cast was all I needed where I fish at. I tied a Zoom on that rod and the other 2 had wild shiners on them.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok. I tried the 1/4 oz. weight with my Abu, and Solaris rod. I got a grand total of 11 feet. The problem is my rod is a medium/heavy that needs a 1 0z. to 4 oz. weight. I put on a 1 oz. weight and tried again and it went 172 feet 4 inches. This is a new reel that I got about 2 weeks ago and as soon as I clean it out and put rocketfuel in it, itr will cast even further. This rod reel combo is designed for surf fishing where long distance casts are necessary. The Abu Garcia 6500 sells for about 90 bucks, and the Okuma Solaris rod sells for about 60.

Rocket fuel is a highly refigned oil designed for baitcasters. The only problem with this oil is it is so thin that you need to reapply it almost every time you go fishing.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate you checking it out. With a one ounce weight I'd probably cast all the line off mine. I was simply wanting to compare baitcasters that would be used primarily for bass fishing.
Thanks for your time.
C7

Quick Reply: Hey .let's have a baitcasting reel review.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.