Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

skipjack?

Old 05-01-2006, 07:40 AM

Default skipjack?

I was at a local pay lake the on fri and had no luck for a few hours. Some guys that were sittin close were catchin fish the whole time. When they left they gave us their cutbait which they called skipjack and told us it came from the ohio river. They left enough to cover three hooks, the first time my line broke, the second I caught a 20 lb flathead and the the third time I lost a pole [:@]. Needless to say I want to know more about skipjack and where to get it. anybody know?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Default RE: skipjack?

In Florida a skip Jack is a small tuna, salt water fish.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've caught them in lake barkley and i would definately have to say they didn't look like a small tuna. the one i caught looked like a cross between a stiped bass and a shad. the only times i've caught them was by accident.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM

Yeah these things seemed very similar to shad
Old 05-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Spike

It's funny you posted this thread. I'm new to the skipjack scene here in NorthWestern Arkansas as well. I went fishing with a guy at work who snags below the Generator plant at Barling and he snagged a few SkipJacks. We took them out to the main channel below the dam and cut them into strips and got all kinds of action on them. We got 8 last Sunday night and 13 Tuesday evening. Best catches were a 10 lb flathead and a 13 lb blue. All the rest were between 4-8 lbs. What really made me a big believer in them is that there were people all around us using shad and perch, and none of them were having hardly any luck. We were using two poles a peice and couldn't keep up with them. I'm actually thinking about heading down there right now and seeing if I can catch some skip's to freeze in the freezer for later on.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey kyle hamm......does your last name ever make you hungery?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 AM

It did when I was in grade school [:-]. I know what you mean stainless, I have since been back to the same place using small bluegill, rock bass and goldfish as bait... No luck. Wish I knew a place close to getsome aroundhere.Cant really drive several hours to a river after which I would have no idea how or where to catch them.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Spike

I did a little research on catching them and it turned out to be good. I went to the local dam and generator plant with some hairy white jigs 1/8 oz. and caughtabout fifteenand another fisherman there fishing for Stripers gave me all he caught which in all total was about 30 of them. After I get done eating, I have to go outside and cut them up and freeze them. It was actually easier than I thought but this time of year is the best time to catch them too.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone know if you can buy them already frozen? Also where could you catch them on the Illinois or Mississippi?

I have heard that they are great bait, but I have never been able to come across one before.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Spike

Picture of the ones caught today. They filled nine ziplock bags.