Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Cajun red lightning line?? >

Cajun red lightning line??

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Cajun red lightning line??

Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cajun red lightning line??

I bought some of this stuff in 12 lbs test and strung up 2 of my rods with it gonna fish today and see how the stuff casts. just wondering if anyone else has tried the stuff and what you think of it.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cajun red lightning line??

I switched to this last year and have been very happy with it. I was a little leary about clear water but it has performed very well for shallow, clear water walleyes. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I was always real leery about any color to the line. A couple of winters ago one of my friends who always catches more fish than most told me he switched to Berkeley line in solar mint. It is real florescent green and we were ice fishing for finicky blue gills and crappie in both clear and stained water. I switchedall my UL flat fish rods(gills and crappie)and my perch rods for ice fishing. I was amazed that it didn't seem to bother them and my catch rates appeared to climb. Another good issue with it is that I can see the line real well to detect even the lightest hits. I don't know why it works so well but I am going to try it on all my open water flatfish rods and bass rigs as well. So the red line might just be the ticket.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

the stuff casts like crap! i switched from that to berkly trilene and i got twice the distance at least.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried the Stren Super Braid this year....good stuff.

It's 6lb test diameter.
I've got it on a bait caster. I had a couple of scares by having my spool to loose but fixed it. I have confidence it will catch any bass. Tough stuff.
It does turn white and will need to be cut off occasionally.

C7
Old 04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have only been fishing with mine once and loved it cant wait for the rest of the season cant wait to see how it will perform.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finally fished the stuff firsthand, on my baitcaster I had 12 lb test and the stuff is awesome It will cast a long ways with a 1/4 oz spinner bait Id say my longest casts were easily going 40 yards. On my spinning reel outfit it was different story the line seems to stiff for finesse type baits I first started with 10lb test and was having all sorts of issues with line loose winding on the spool causing tangles between casts. Before the day was over I had to cut off a large portion of line. when the spool got down to about half I decided to try out the 8lb stuff I had I tied it to existing 10 lb on the spool using a blood knot and respooled with the 8 lb it worked a ton better for finesse fishing but I started to have a ton of trouble with line twist.

I think ill continue to use the stuff on my baitcasters, but for my spinning outfits Im gonna go back to using Berkley XL line.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen..this is why I always ask what kind of reel is particuliar line going on. Different line acts differently....epecially when using a spinning rod to bump or flip a worm with a curly tail. Most mono line works great for me on a spinning reel.Trilene never fails me {Unless flipping a worm} then it is twist city. Therefore I have different rods for different lures. Stren Super Braid on my 2 worm rods and mono on the spinning.I HATE VANISH!! even on a spinning rod. When I use vanish on an ultra light or light rod the line continues to uncoil off well after the lure has hit th ewater. Trilene doesn't do that.I just started using Super Braid this year. The only negative is you have to finesess this line. It can wrap around rod eyelets and twigs easier than any line I'e seen. It also bleaches out like spider wire. BUT it's very dependable and have not had a break off yet. I've pulled a few bass directly out of tangled up sticks and vines. It cast ok for braid according to the reel I guess.
C7
Old 04-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

i want to try power pro line.....anyone ever use that?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Amen..this is why I always ask what kind of reel is particuliar line going on. Different line acts differently....epecially when using a spinning rod to bump or flip a worm with a curly tail. Most mono line works great for me on a spinning reel.Trilene never fails me {Unless flipping a worm} then it is twist city. Therefore I have different rods for different lures. Stren Super Braid on my 2 worm rods and mono on the spinning.I HATE VANISH!! even on a spinning rod. When I use vanish on an ultra light or light rod the line continues to uncoil off well after the lure has hit th ewater. Trilene doesn't do that.I just started using Super Braid this year. The only negative is you have to finesess this line. It can wrap around rod eyelets and twigs easier than any line I'e seen. It also bleaches out like spider wire. BUT it's very dependable and have not had a break off yet. I've pulled a few bass directly out of tangled up sticks and vines. It cast ok for braid according to the reel I guess.
C7
Me too!!! problem is its flourocarbon even though berkley claims its manageble for all types of reels, its still flourocarbon and flourocarbon is honestly only good for leaders. I used it once on baitcaster in 12 lb test it was horrible back lash city I literally could not get a decent cast without back lashing. I stopped using it the remaining stuff I use for leaders. A few months later walmart was clearing the stuff out for 75 cents a spool so I bought all of the 4 lb test which was a dozen spools, I use the stuff exclusively for tipits and leaders for trout fishing.