Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 shimano curado problems need help! >

shimano curado problems need help!

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

shimano curado problems need help!

Old 01-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default shimano curado problems need help!

I just bought a shimano curado baitcaster and i cant get it to cast worth a crap. It has a weight system inside it and i dont know how it need to be set up and on the outside it has a friction control and i cant get it setup right. It keeps backlashing and wont cast very far at all. Any advice on what to do with these problems would help thx.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: shimano curado problems need help!

You didn't say if you are experienced with a bait casting reel. it takes a little practice the first few times. If you load the rod up like you do with a spinning reel/ rod then often the casts will backlash. I initially set mine up so the tension allows the lure to slowly fall when I push the bar. Then try some short easy casts and gradually lengthen them. If the casts don't go far enough then you can back off the brake a tad. Keep trying because equipped with 10-17 pound line you will get great results throwing things like spinner baits etc. It works best with medium line and a relatively heavy lure.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest putting 17 lb line on it. Pop the cover off with those weights, and move all of them out until they click. As the spool spins faster, it will cause them to rub on the gold circle peice.

Get a heavy spinner bait or jig and tie on the end of the line. Set the friction knob until the lure BARELY falls on its own tension. instead of "whipping" the rod like a spinning reel, SMOOTHLY flick the rod from 2 oclock to 10 o clock.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over spooling with line(too much line on spool) will also cause backlash on baitcaster,at least on any I've ever owned.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AJ52

Over spooling with line(too much line on spool) will also cause backlash on baitcaster,at least on any I've ever owned.
Good point AJ. I always leave about 1/8 inch off the full reel. Another tip Ijust remembered is try to not cast into the wind. Instant backlash especially when you are really trying towing it for distance.