Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Muskie combo

Old 06-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Muskie combo

Hi guys.I was wondering if you think a Shimano Compre Muskie rod, 7' Med. Heavy action with Med. Fast action, paired with a Shimano Corvalus baitcasting reel would be adequate for casting large spinnerbaits, bucktails, topwaters, and jerkbaits. The other option would be Fenwick AV Muskie rod, same action as Shimano, with a Quantum Classic Mg reel. What's your pick?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Muskie combo

The Compre's are aight. I'm not a shimano guy by any means. I've only heard good things about them so far. The guy at Cabela's tried to steer me away from St.Croix and I wanted to tell him where he could shove his darned Shimano but I refrained. I'll be blunt:everything i fish with is St.Croix and i'd only buy anything else if it was a Loomis or Kistler. My pick for a muskie rod: St.Croix 7' Heavy Premier or Avid, doesn't really matter, avid is just a bit fancier with an Abu Garcia 6500 Ultra Cast. You simply can't beat that combo. St.Croix makes a muskie series for their Premier models, unsure on the Avid models, but I haven't had the joy of playing with them yet so I don't know what to say. For the little muskie fishing i get to do anymore, it's st.croix/abu garcia. I think we have 5 or 6 6500C3 or ultra cast reels, all of them outperform any other brand.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Finally some muskie talk. Deer's suggestions are great for a ski combo. I would maybe stay away from the Corvalus if I were you. Well, depends no how much muskie fishing you do. If you get out maybe 5 times a year max the Corvalus would be a good choice but if you fish them any more than that then I would spend the extra money and get a good baitcaster. I have a Corsair the reel that the Corvalus replaced and I used it last year and so far this year and the darn thing sounds like a coffee grinder when I reel with it so it's going to be shot here very shortly and that's only after 1.5 years of use and I don't fish as much as I'd like to. Like Deer said the Abu's are great reels some of the others you may want to look and consider are the Okuma baitcasters like the Iduron or the Fina I have both of these reels and Okuma makes great great products and nice high quality for a fraction of the price. The other reel you may want to look at is the Pfleuger Trion 66. I like using and trying out new and different reels from everybody else, sure the Abu's are great reels but It seems like very one is using them. Now how many do you know use the Okumas?? Not manyI bet for freshwater at least. Sorry got side tracked I don't like sticking with the pack. If you have the option between the Corvalus and the Trion go with the Trion with out a doubt. As far as rods go you can spend up to about $300 on a good heavy extra heavy rod or you can spend as little as $30. It all depends on your budget. Again the St Croix series are great great rods but if you don't want to spend $120 to $230 on a rod then look the shimano's a little cheaper about, $80 to $90, and still outstanding quality. Another over looked decent muskie rod for really really cheap are the Cabelas IM 6 Pro guide rods. I have 2 of these and they are awesome rods for the price. The muskie rod in this series is $39.99. I also found a shakesepere muskie rod at fleet farm hhere about a month ago marked for $20!!! Needless to say I got it cause if ti don't work out then I'm not out much. This rod is unbelievable for the money. Fast action heavy 7 footer IM 8 I'm mean you cant go wrong. Well now enough about the explanations. OOOHH!!! 1 more I forgot to mention look in bass pro shops and take a look at the Pete Mania combos. For $140 you get rod and reel and they are designed specifically with muskies in mind. There are alot of choices for rod and reel size but that all depends on the type of baits you're going to be throwing. Anyway, for a first muskie combo eihter go with the Abu 6500, Trion 66, or the Okuma Fina as far as reels go. For rods I would go with the Compre's but that's just me. Fenwick also makes a good muskie rod comparable in price to the Shimano. Anyway Compre or the Fenwick (Midrange) higher end with out a doubt St. Croix, Lower range Cabelas Pro guide series, or if you don't want to go through the hassle of matching stuff up right or if the decision is too hard then go with the Pete Maina combo. OH for reels stay on the lower gear ratio end 4:7:1 to 5:2:1 if you go any higher then that for most bucktails and larger crankbaits you will need to start doing more forearm and hand exercises they pull HARD!!! Rods you can't go wrong starting out with a 6'6" or a 7'these will work for all applications wiether it be burning or slow rolling bucktails, crankbaits, jerkbait fishing, trolling, jigging they will work for everything. Make sure you get Heavy action or Extra Heavy action remember most of these baits a between 1-4 ounces in weight, I just bought one the other day that is 7 ounces. You need a stiff, heaveyrod to handle these baits. Once you get your combo you're going to have to outfit it with line. I'm goign to suggest 50-80lb spider wireoriginal or stealth, Tuff Line, or PowerPro. These are big, mean strong fish and in order to release them properly with out harming them you have to play them relativley quickly so you don't stress them out to much. I cold go on for hoursBut I'm going to stop now. Good luck and I hope you catch one. If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 06-18-2005, 08:59 AM

jlb66, have you been out for 'skis this year yet? I haven't been up north yet this summer, I don't even know if I'll pick up my rod until october for them. I used to put in long hours, sunup to sundown days, but anymore, I'd rather fish bass all summer and wait till it gets cold out for muskies. no people on the water and the fish bite like mad. In all my tens of thousands of casts, i've had follows, strikes, rolls, and never a 40" or bigger muskie caught on muskie tackle. in that same time frame, i've caught 2 legals on ultra tackle, both in the same year too. 40" and 45", both fishing smallmouth. weird fish muskies are.

slayer
Old 06-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I've been out 4 times so far this year I only go out for 4-6 hours at a pop but so far this year I've boated one 36 incher over in SD on April 23 and the last three outings up here I've raised 10 different fish but they were not very active. They all just kinda slowly swim behind the lure never flaring their gills or giving any hint that their a hot fish. Just 2 days ago I raised one that was very easily pusing the 50" mark so that got me even more excited. No takers yet though and all of the fish I raised have been on a black bucktail with an orange blade and that's it. It's sounds like every where in the state people are getting alot of follows but very few hook ups. Maybe next week when we're suppose to be getting a storm or two they may turn a little more aggressive before the storm hits. But anyway I've only been fishing for muskie for the past 2 years and I have boated6 that 36 this year, last year a 39, 40, 41 and 47, and the year before that a 40 also with countless follows and at least 5 hook ups with other fish that threw the hooks. So I don't think I'm doing all to bad considering I average about 4.5 hours of fishing every time I go out. Yeah fall when things start to cool down is prime big boy time but I'm also a hard core waterfowler so I have a few tough decisions once that season rolls around also. But I have it figured out the crappy days I'll go duck hunting and the nice bluebird days I'll go fishing since I don't get to many ducks on those days anyway I won't be missing much and almost all of my fish with the exception of one 40 incher came on clear calm no wind 70-85 degree bluebird days.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Just boateda 45 incher this morning right before a huge storm hit. She hit on a black and orange LOW rider surface bait right on top of a mid lake weed bed.Now that was fun!!!and not 10 minutes later I had another strike from about a 40 incher on the same lure than about 5 casts later I had a follow by another ski probably around 36-39 inches nad I had strikes from about 6 seperate northerns 3 hook ups but they threw the hooks. It was a really good morning forfishing for only 4 hours.