Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 several dead/dying bass at tournament...why? >

several dead/dying bass at tournament...why?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

several dead/dying bass at tournament...why?

Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: several dead/dying bass at tournament...why?

I read the artical in In Fisherman Magazine. I have however, seen first hand, quite a few dead fish near the releas area after tournaments locally. I have also tried to release fish often that didn't make it. I only know what I read about the subject and I am sure that 80 percent is not true in all cases. However the artical said up to 80 percent and it certainly would not suprise me to find thats it true. No-one really knows because it takes several days before they can be sure the fish survive. I am not saying that there is no up side to this but there sure is a down side as well. Many kid themselves that nearly all released fish survive. Most livwells take the water from the surface. This water in most cases is to warm to start with and no amount of recirculating will cool it. I just put ice in my livwell and put the kept fish right on ice. If I am going to release a fish, I do it right off the hook. Upgrading fish is illigal in our state anyway. You catch it and it yours. Even in tournaments.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with redallison on this. I've fished a ton of southern tournaments and no way 80% died. Heck, there wouldn't be any fish left. I would say 10% from all causes probably don't make it and I'm not for sure that's not high.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:40 AM

I tend to agree, I fished tournements for years and never saw 20% Kill not even in the Hot Summer Months, I do beleive that fish in a live well can be stressed and their slim coat removed which could cause problems down the road for the fish. I caught a fish once that caused me to beleive this, 75% of his body was covered by a fungus. But even today there are many products that protect the slim coat and add oxygen to the water and as other guys said Ice is always good to use I even use it on my Minnows today.