Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.17 HMR

Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Default .17 HMR

im considering buying a new .17 HMR for varmit hunting. ive looked at the savages and i like them alot. does anyone know if ruger is chambering this caridge in there 10/22 line. some where i herd they were but i didnt see it on the web site. what are other manufacturers are people using that is in the 200-350 price range? thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .17 HMR

ruger is supose to have come out with one from about twoo years now but no one has seen one so dont hold your breath. but you can buy a 22 mag and a 17hmr barrel and swapp barrels. Marlin makes an exenlant firarms for a low price they are some of the most accurate ones out there. I looked around for awhile but i settle onthe marlin because of al teh good stuff i read, and im happy i didnt my second time out shooiting i hit a dime 3 times at 50 yards but then it fell off the stand. I can cover a 5 shot group witha dime also, i even managed to hita empty 17hmr case at 50 yaards the gun is capable of great things. www.rimfirecentral.com has many topics on the 17hmr and differnt manufactures.

the center dime is the one shot 3 times

Old 04-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Savage 93R17 with the synthetic stock and the S/S barrel. It’s heavy in the front because of the bull barrel and the synthetic stock. Shoots pretty good. I was shooting shotgun hulls at 100 yards. Didn’t get them all the time but it was sure fun. I’m going to have to shoot it at 50 yards to see if I can match gopher slayer Canadian dime.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Ruger does make 3 model 77/17s one is blued/walnut, one is blued/composit, and one is the target gray/laminate with the heavyer barrel. I would get the Ruger first, Marlin second and Savage third. I like the Ruger better than the others, they have a lot more features and it is very easy to change from 17 to 22 mag.