Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.22 hornet

Old 03-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .22 hornet

Wow is all I can say. That little booger has got some umph to it. I was playing with it today and shot a 4x4 post with it. It went completely through it and went on to go through my privacy fence as well. ( Il ive in the country) Thats 3 1/2 inches plus another 3/4's for a totall of 4 1/4 inches of wood. I Was using remington hollow points. I shot a crow with it and it blew it and half, disentagrating one half. Disatnce was 20 yds. This is a neat little round. I like it.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 hornet

Z, which brand of rifle do you have and how do you like it? I’m considering getting a rifle chambered for the 22 Hornet. I was looking at a couple of different rifles but not sure which one to get.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got it in the NEF single shot. Only had it a few monthes. Theres very few manufacturers that offer it, and when they do it's usually the full price of a large centerfire. I like it in the Ruger but just didnt want to spend that much. The NEF I have seems to work pretty good, havent had it at the range but here at home it's shotting damn good at 50 yds.

( puts on flame suit) I'm gonna use it this year for deer hunting, I'll keep my shots under 75 yds and only on perfect sideways shots. Will post pics or videos'of my kills. And Yes it's legal here in Texas.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was considering the Ruger 77/22 but find it a little to much. The Savage 40 Varmint got my attention but there aren’t any in town so I’ll wait till this fall and see what happens. I already have 2 single shots and didn’t want another one so the NEF would definitely not be one of my choices. Thanks for the reply and good luck with your rifle.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:52 PM

The 22 hornet is a fun round to shoot. That is what I use for small game hunting and deer hunting. I reload my own ammo for it, cause I have a tendency to do alot of plinking with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:02 PM

Ive been wondering, whats the difference between a 22 hornet and a 22 K hornet?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked up on 22 K Hornet in my Hornady sixth edition book and the brass is a little different. It has a 40° shoulder compaired to the 22 Hornet with a 5° shoulder. It was originated by Lysle Kilbourn and is somewhat of a wildcat. I guess it’s not very popular because it was listed in only two of my 6 reloading books.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:56 PM
DM

K Hornet moves the shoulder foreward, and has more capacity. That means more velocity with a bit more powder used.

You just get your Hornet rechambered for K Hornet, fire std. Hornet loads in it, and reload the fired brass with K Hornet dies.

I've thought it would be nice to have a K Hornet necked to 5mm, but i guess my wildcatting days are over......

Drilling Man
Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I red an article that said the Hornet makes 4/5's the power of a .222, with half as much powder.
I sure would like to get onto reloading but I have no one around me to show me the ropes.
It looks technical and difficult to learn.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 AM

I dont know, Ive been wanting to reload too, and all the experts tell me to get a good reloading handbook to start off.

Quick Reply: .22 hornet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.