Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Colt Light Rifle

Old 02-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Colt Light Rifle

Can anyone tell me anything about the Colt Light Rifle. I understand that they are no longer being made. Was production stopped because of quality issues or simply because it didn't sell.
I have a chance to buy 270 NIB for $400 seems like a fair price but I would like to know a little more about the rifle. I need another 270 like a hole in the head but a very light weight rifle does hold a certain appeal.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Colt Light Rifle

I don't know all of the details but they did have a recall on them in at least the 30-06 caliber. Something about the bolt assembly.

I would do a little research on Colts recalls or contact Colt themselves with the serial number to see if this one is effected.

But all of the gun auction sites have them for $400 give or take so it seems this is an average price.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There used to be racks of these rifles at a local gun shop about 3 or 4 years ago.

understand that they are no longer being made. Was production stopped because of quality issues or simply because it didn't sell.
I heard a rumor that the product line was sold out to NULA.

Edited: nevermind that rumor. I did a search and as someone else stated, the rifles were recalled and discontinued.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Colt rifle was built by Saco who is in Maine. Saco coincidentally builds Weatherby Mk V's as well as military goodies. Colt purchased Saco the same year they came up with the Colt rifle, they also purchased ULA . Action was designed by Melvin Forbes and is similiar to the ULA action except it has a plastic follower, mass produced barrel , a different trigger and production rifle tolerances . The stock is a take off of the ULA design as well but it is of the injection molded variety. I have heard they shoot well although the trigger may or may not be adjusted as crisply as one would want. Colt went out of business because they overextended themselves plain and simple. Melvin Forbes had to start a new company called NULA because of this fiasco.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I'm going to check into the the recalls. Good to know that there was a problem, maybe I'll use the recall angle and try to get a better price.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know you're talking about the Colt Lighting Rifle.Colt also had a rifle made by JP Sauer in Germany.They were called Colt Sauers.Not sure why they stopped. They were made from 1973-88. The magnum was discontinued in 85.There was also a Colt Sauer Drilling.These were a premium rifle.Colts had several other different models. The Colteer,Stagecoach,Coltsman,Colt Lightning, not to forget the AR15.I see this topic is Colt Light Rifle.I don't see a listing for that. Apparently it's a Colt Lightning model in question?
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

That Colt Sauer rifle is one smoooooooooth bolt action rifle. Super nice and very innovative in its time..
Old 02-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

That Colt Sauer rifle is one smoooooooooth bolt action rifle. Super nice and very innovative in its time..
Yes they are.I bought one years ago when I worked for the gunshop.I still have it.I went through everyone we had.Mine has the most beautiful stock.It's a 30-06. I have Redfield Engraved rings on it.This gun has never been fired.Unfortunately I had a scope mounted. Right by where the end of the Objective was is a small spot on the barrel.It doesn't appear to be rust. Not sure what it is or what caused it.Just knowing it's there has bothered me for a long time.One day I need to take it out and see exactly what that spot is.The scope and covers had clearance. It was always wiped down with RIG.I can't figure out what caused this. I might try a little Gun Scrubber on a rag and see if I can remove it.If I told you what I have in it you'd have a heartattack.They were 499.00 at that time.The owner of the GS let me have it for 399.00. Christmas was close by. He knocked another 100.00 off for Christmas.I have 299.00 plus the rings in this jewel. I wish now I would have bought a couple of them. They also had Drillings.I'm still kicking myself for not getting one of them.They were a fine rifle no doubt.I have no idea what these are worth now days. Last ones I saw were close to 1300.00.I could have set myself up for an early retirement buying a few of these...... LOL.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 AM

What a shame, the best WBY,s wer Made by Howa in Japan. Better than the old german ones, better machine work, and they made them for less money. Class one machinework. They were made so fine that one could interchange the bolts and the headspace would be exact!!!!!!! Now HOwa is making the take offs of the WBY vanguard ,what they made for WBY. What was orginnaly disigned off the Sako action with changes. How things change. I DO KNOW for i was there!!Vangunsmith