Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

browning boss?

Old 01-01-2005, 12:32 PM

Default browning boss?

i am looking at getting a new browning 3oo wsm and was wondering if it is worth the extra money for the boss option? do any of you have any experience with the boss? if so how much difference did it make and would you buy it again?
Old 01-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: browning boss?

I have owned one BOSS equipped rifle and will never own another one.Although you can tune the gun to the load,the overall accuracy was no better than a non-boss equipped rifle with proper handloads.The boss also came loose repeatedly, resulting in a change of point of impact.The boss equipped rifles are extremely loud if the standard BOSS is used.A single shot fired without hearing protection while hunting, made my ears ring for several hours.Lastly,due to the fact that BOSS equipped rifles have shorter barrels than non-BOSS equipped rifles to compensate for the length of the BOSS,they produce less velocity than non-BOSS equipped rifles.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Winchester 30-06 rifle with the BOSS . I agree it increases the report.
I bought the BOSS-CR ,it is not ported dose the same job ( no extra noise for you) . I love it .
If you do not reload you can tune the gun to factory ammo easyly
The BOSS barrel is shorter ,I don't know what you will lose in fps
Old 01-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

a friend of mine has a Browning Stainless Stalker .30-06 w/ The BOSS System. he HATES it. As stubblejumper said, it is EXTREMELY loud. He ended up buying a new barrel. [:@]
Old 01-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you just buy the BOSS-CR and replace the BOSS there will be no extra noise.
Took me about 1 min.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, a 300 wsm is not one of the calibers which a brake is needed. I have one brake, on a 300 RUM, the difference in recoil in pounds between a 300 wsm and a 300 RUM is probably around 9 or 10 lbs, just guessing.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:55 AM

The idea behind the Boss was to tune the harmonics of the barrel, NOT to serve just as a muzzlebrake. If you are a reloader and willing to spend the time tuning and working a reload just for that rifle, you certainly don't need a Boss. The Boss though, is terrific for the person who uses his rifle for multiple different game, with different loads and either doesn't have the time to work up perfect reloads or doesn't reload at all.
It should not be confused with a standard muzzlebrake, they're two different animals and the Boss works great if used properly.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:40 PM

I had a buddy who lost a small pack on his way to camp, it happened to have his hand loads in it[:@]! I would've been screwed. He just bought some premium rounds, shot three, adjusted the boss; shot three more, one more adjustment; shot three more and was under an inch. Went a killed a 5X5 bull.