Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Charles Daily VR-MC Shotgun Jamming >

Charles Daily VR-MC Shotgun Jamming

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Charles Daily VR-MC Shotgun Jamming

Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 PM

Default Charles Daily VR-MC Shotgun Jamming

Friend of mine bought a new Charles Daily VR-MC (auto-loader) shotgun. It has started mis-feeding after about 200 rounds. He has cleaned and oiled it properly. I know little about shotguns, any ideas before he ships it off for repair? Thanks for your time in advance shotgunners.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Charles Daily VR-MC Shotgun Jamming

Is the gas port clean ? clean with a tooth pick or pipe cleaner
Is the magazine tube clean ( outside) ? Clean with a scotch brite pad and oil and wipe oil off.
Is it just 1 brand or type of ammo or reloads ? try different ammo
Is the gas piston on the right way ?
Has anything changed between when it worked and now ?
Is the O -ring on and in the right spot ?
Are you over oiling it ?
Call customer service and ask for tec help and pick their brains
Old 12-15-2004, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the advice, we did perform some of the suggested remedial action:

Is the gas port clean ? We did clean it with a pipe cleaner
Is the magazine tube clean ( outside) ? Clean with a scotch brite pad and oil and wipe oil off I don't understand what you are telling me to do here?
Is it just 1 brand or type of ammo or reloads ? Nope, had several mix and match factory loads
Is the gas piston on the right way ? Yup, checked the book
Has anything changed between when it worked and now ? We have taken it apart about 50 times, but that was after the problem started
Is the O -ring on and in the right spot ? Checked the book, looks correct to me
Are you over oiling it ? Nope, both of us spend a little time in the desert with an M-16, learned that lesson

He is in the process of repeating all the above just to ensure we didn't miss something before contacting the company. I hate to feel stupid and I know it is most likely something simple that we are doing wrong. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The out side of the mag. tube will get carboned up from burnt powder from the gas port and need to be cleaned . It will look black not silver .
I use WD-40 and a scotch brite pad to remover the carbon , then I wipe it dry . If you leave oil on the tube it will colect carbon 3 times faster.
Is the gun extracting ?
Is the gun extracting and not ejecting ?
Is the new shell feeding from the mag tube ?
Will it cycle if you do it by hand ?
Where is the jam happening ?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:01 PM

That could be an issue, I see what you are saying now, I called to have him check that out. It is extracting and ejecting. It attempts to load the new shell but the bolt (I guess that is what it is still called on a skatter gun) is not locking fully into battery, it stops anywhere from 1/2" short to almost closing. Seems like the bolt isn't closing with enough force. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. If you have more suggestions please keep them comming. I will post the results.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:53 AM

Update
Last night I went back to my buddies and went over the gun with a fine tooth comb. Thank you johnch, the mag tube was black, regular wiping did not remove the carbon, it required scrubbing with a scotch brite pad. I also noticed that in the channel that the "arms" of the bolt ride there were a few small burrs. I stoned the guide channel with soft Arkansas stone lightly. I had to assume that like any semi-auto, the burrs could catch the guide rails slightly and cause the bolt not to close completely. We re-assembled everything with care and good golly miss molly it worked like a charm! Guess the blame falls on us mostly, but I don't think the burrs helped us out any. Thanks again for your help johnch, you are the shotgun man! My opinion though is this, spend a little extra and buy a higher quality shotgun, esp. if you want an auto loader.