Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Which brand for a new gun >

Which brand for a new gun

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which brand for a new gun

Old 11-30-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Which brand for a new gun

I am looking to buy a new rifle at the end of this season. I am currently shooting an old 30-06 which belongs to my uncle, but he wants it back after this year. Based on a lot of information I have read on this and other sites, I have decided I want somehting chambered in 7mm-08. I am having trouble deciding which brand to go with. Remington, Browning, Savage..... So many choices. I want the best combination of accuracy, reliability, and price I can get. I think I will be able to afford something in $500-$650 range. Any suggestions or ideas about the direction I should go in????

Thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which brand for a new gun

Savage model 110 in 7mm-08 will be around $350 and another $100-150 for a decent scope, and you will have one of the most accurate guns that is mass produced on the market. Granted Savages arent the prettiest, but I doubt that you are trying to impress anyone, you want a great shooter right?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:41 PM

That is correct. If I am going to impress someone, I want it to be with the way my gun shoots, not how it looks. Also, to clarify, the amount I said I could spend is for just the gun, I already have a good scope to put on it.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with either a Browning or a Tikka. Both are great guns for their price.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 PM

It's at the upper limit of your price range, but take a look at the Remington 700 LSS Mountain Rifle - stainless steel barrel/action with laminated stock. It is available in
7mm-08, as well as 260Remington, 270Win., and 30-06. I've got one in 270Win.
This rifle is relatively lightweight, very accurate, and I've had no problems with it of any kind. A good gun.
Another consideration is a compact rifle, 20" barrel, by Winchester, or the Remington Model 7 which also has a 20" barrel, and in laminated stock.
Here's some links:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/ce...e/700mtnls.htm

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/M7_LS.htm

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...d=017&cat=001C

Note: disregard MSRP's, both can be had within your limits.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If i were looking for a 7MM-08 i'd take a hard look at the Remington CDL. If they would chamber one in 6mm or 260 rem i'd own one myself. I'm a big Remington fan so my response may be just a tad bit bias.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

the savage 110 is probably $150-200 cheaper than all of the guns mentioned above and will shoot with or better than all of them.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Look to the Savage with a synthetic stock. Make sure it is the new model with the accu-trigger. The stock is pillar bedded and will not require bedding the action. This type of rifle can be had for around $350 with the tax. Take the rest of the money you have and invest in the best scope you can afford. I have seen a Savage package gun at Wal Mart for $339 with a scope. The scopes are junk but can get you by for a year or two until you can afford a quality piece of glass. I would do this before buying one without a scope and putting a $60 cheapie on it. Buy the package gun if you can find one and save until you can afford a Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Zeiss, etc. You will be much happier if you can buy a quality scope.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I lean to the Win Model 70. Three position safety and a crisp, easily adjusted trigger that is second to none.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot the Mountain Rifle in the Laminated/Stainless and they are not bad guns.If I were to buy a new 7-08 it would be in the Tikka Laminated Stainless.
I curently own one in the standared Mountain Rifle Brown/Blued
BBJ

Quick Reply: Which brand for a new gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.