Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Steiner bino's

Old 10-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Steiner bino's

Give me some thoughts. Are they worth a dang? I had a set of Nikon Action 10x50 and they worked great (esp. at night). But now, they fog up as soon as I put them to my face. I am looking for a similar size to a 10x50.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: Steiner bino's

i have some 10 x predators and love them. i have used cheap binoculars before and one of my eyes would start aching. these are my first good pair and i dont regret spending the money on them. i figure if they are good enough for military and sea use they are top notch optics.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:38 AM

We have used a pair of 7X50 on a cruising sailboat for 12 years. The optics, day or night can't be beat! Only problem is the "armor" coating. The original went 3-4 years before going soft and sticky where hands normally held. We are carefull not to have bug dope or sun block on our hands. Sent them to Steiner, they said "no problem we'll replace the armor ----------for about $90" We had told them the whole story of our care of and satisfaction with, but no free fix. The armor is soft again and they wear a pair of "pants" made out of sox! So, we love the optics but are very dissapointed with the Company!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:42 AM

My friend bought a pair of Steiner's last year and I thought they were good. I was shopping for a pair of binoculars this year and looked at the Steiners, Leupolds and Bushnell Legends. The Bushnells won IMHO. I bought the Legend 10x26. They were clearer, sharper and gathered more light than the higher priced ones. Try a pair out before you buy the Steiners. You might be surprised.

Steve
Old 10-15-2004, 03:56 PM

I've got a set of the steiners,12x40 predators. I think that you can get better, but not for the money($249 at sportsmans guide).
Old 10-23-2004, 09:42 PM

Steiners are definitely a decent choice, but you might consider digging a tiny bit deeper in your pocket and treating yourself to Zeiss optics. I got a Zeiss Diafun 8x30 binocular and am now ruined as far as optics go. I wouldn't buy a Nikon binocular now; compared to the Zeiss, they don't give nearly as good resolution or brightness, but they are in a very different price class so the comparison in't really fair.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:58 AM

Bluechablis I think your criticism isnt fair. Obviously the problem you are encountering is a problem of physics and chemistry (the sunblock is obviously softening the rubber armor). That isnt really Steiners problem and shouldnt be their fault. Should GM repaint your new car if you washed it with MEK?

I have had Steiners for years and they are GREAT. I recently went with the Zeiss Conquest 15x45 for long range work but still carry a 8x30 Steiner for woods duty and on my boat.

GREAT stuff,
RA

ps
Realistically the Nikon ATB is a FANTASTIC pair of glasses that are comparable to 95% of the market and reasonably priced as well. Leupys Wind Rivers are great as well.