Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Basic caliber question? >

Basic caliber question?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Basic caliber question?

Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Basic caliber question?

I really just started getting into hunting and have a 30-30. I wanted a more powerful rifle for out west or for bigger game that will shoot longer distances but I don't even know what "30-06" "270" or "30-30" really mean. Every book on guns I find is for the knowledgeable individual- no guns for dummies book that i can find. Can anyone give me a brief description of what these numbers/calibers mean or point me in the right direction?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Basic caliber question?

"Dummies" shouldn't be handling firearms. Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Hey, you opened the door for that one (ha,ha).
Anyway, 30-30 is a 30caliber bullet using approx. 30grains of blackpowder (back when it was developed). 30-06 is, again, a cartridge using a 30 calibur bullet, and was developed about 1906. The .270 Win. uses bullets of .277 diameter (caliber - more or less). It was developed by Winchester by necking down the 30-06 cartridge case to use .277 diameter bullets.
One thing to remember, there is no logic to the naming of most of our cartridges.
I would recommend you get the following books to read, and they should be a big help.
Check out your local library too.
a: Cartridges of the World (look for latest edition - softcover)
b: Book of the Rifle by Jim Carmichel
c: The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Connor
d: Popular Sporting Rifle Cartridges by Clay Harvey (softcover)

Have fun!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:23 PM

Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with 30-06.....I've taken more than a few deer past 400yd. open sites with this cal.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken more than a few deer past 400yd. open sites with this cal.
Are you saying you shoot at deer at 400 yds with open sights? The bead would completely cover any deer out that far and make a precise shot total fluke I would think. I'm sure its done in competition but why risk wounding a deer with a shot like that?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

400 yards with open sights seems like a great way to wound an animal. 30-06 has a good bit of drop at that range, not to mention a deer with the nekkid eye at range has to be pretty small.
The 30-06 was developed in 1903 and adopted by the army in 1906 and is a .30 caliber, so its called the 30-06.
the 30-30 AND 30-06 shoot the same bullet. The 30-06 does it faster and has better range. You can also get more loads in the 30-06 than the 30-30. The .30 caliber bullet measures .308 and a 270 bullet measures .277. I would recommend picking up cartridges of the world, its an older book but a good one. My personal favorite cartridge is the 270winchester short mag or 270 wsm. Nice flat shooting (means it dont drop much) deer/antelope/goat rifle and enough ump to take elk with the right bullet selection. It doesnt have much kick in my Winchester model 70 featherweight rifle and i just love it.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you are looking for a GOOD standard bullet for out here in the West. Then why not go with either a 30-06 or a 7 Mag. The 7 STW Shooting Times Western is one hell of a round here in the West Texas Southern New Mexico part of the globe.

It all comes down to what you can handle and shoot well. A 270 Win. will kill anything in these parts. I shoot a little farther than some folks here and a whole lot shorter distances than others here.

Hunting is all about waiting for that one shot.

I guess I am rambling on here .

So anything from the 270 and up cal. Will do just fine here.

hunter338
Old 09-15-2004, 09:39 AM

Cartridge Designations for Dummies

Nothing standard in US nomenclature about cartridge names. Modern cartridges are named after everything in the world.
Older black powder cartridges made some sense:
.45/70/500: a cartridge firing a .45 caliber bullet over 70 grains of powder, with a 500 grain bullet.
This system made a lot of sense, but it is obselete.

European cartridges generally named metricly:
7x57, 6.5x55, 7.62x54R: respectivly, a 7 millimeter bullet in a case 57 millimeters long, rimless, a 6.5 millimeter bullet in a case 55 millimeters long, rimless, and a 7.62 millimeter bullet in a case 54 millimeters long, with a rim.

Now we come to modern US cartridges, and there is no standard!
the .30/30 is a thirty caliber bullet loaded over (ORIGINALY!) thirty grains of smokeless powder. Never loaded with black powder, but was a transition cartridge, thus the old style name. Also known as the .30 WCF (Winchester Center Fire)
The .25/20, .32/20, .38/40, and .44/40 were all black powder cartridges that kept the same name when they moved to smokeless. Also known as WCFs, too.
Your .30/06 means a .30 caliber bullet on a cartridge adopted by the US military in 1906.
The .270 is properly known as the .270 Winchester, was a Winchester development.
Some cartridges were named after people: .257 Roberts
Some cartridges are named for proformance: .250/3000 (.25 caliber, 3000 FPS, hot stuff when first developed).
Cartridges of the World is a standard reference, and as close to the Dummies books as posible when dealing with caliber/cartridge names.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

I've taken more than a few deer past 400yd. open sites with this cal.
Are you saying you shoot at deer at 400 yds with open sights? The bead would completely cover any deer out that far and make a precise shot total fluke I would think. I'm sure its done in competition but why risk wounding a deer with a shot like that?
I've done it more than a few times....as they say "practice makes perfect"! I've NEVER had a wounded animal at this range....all dropped instantly...using the right slugs helps. I don't recomend this shooting for everybody, but I've been using this gun for 20 yr. and know how it shoots. I've since scoped it......see thru mounts, irons are set for 150yd and scope for 300yd. I've Never had an animal take more than one step after pulling the trigger, whether it be luck or whatever else, that's just how it's been
Old 09-15-2004, 09:18 PM
DM

I've done it more than a few times....
Well, anything can happen on the internet!!!

Drilling Man

Old 09-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

The naming of rounds is a very weird thing. Some are named for the diamter of the bullet, some for the creator of the round some for the powder weight used, some for the date they were designed and some just get a cool name to sell more guns. As far as the calibers you named anyone would make a great deer gun and take just about any big game. The 30-06 has been around for a good while and is very popular and has a ton of factory loadings. The .270 is faster and flatter shooting than the .06 and is also extremely popular. Other callibers you might want to consider that are popular and do the job well
.308 Winchester
.280 Rem ( very comparable to .270 and 30-06, same casing as .06 necked down to .284 caliber or 7mm)
7mm/08 ( 7mm(.284 caliber fitted to a necked down .308 casing hence the 08)
As far as magnums go the 7mm Rem mag is extremely popular and what i shoot or the .300 winchester magnum.

There are so many guns and rounds out there, especially now with the barage of short magnums coming out. You are on the right track by asking around. Ask other hunters, shoot diffrent guns and just do you research and find what gun fits you best and does the job you want and you will be happy.

Quick Reply: Basic caliber question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.