Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

best gun brand?

Old 04-02-2004, 03:09 PM

Default best gun brand?

I hear a lot of people don't like Remingtons? Why? What is the best!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best gun brand?

Marty, I don't think you'll ever get people to agree which is best.I personally like Ruger's.Some people swear by Remington, Browning, Savage, Winchester to name a few.Depending what type of Rifle you're looking for. If I were looking for a lever action I would look at the Marlin's or Browning BLR's. Bolt actions I would go for the Ruger's or Tikka's.For a semi auto rifle I like the Browning BAR's.It all depends how they fit you and the price range you're looking to stay in.Most will agree that two of the worst rifles being made today is the Remington 710 and the Remington 597.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

tthere is no #1 type its whatever is your favorite
Old 04-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with Remingtons, its just that their quality has gone downhill- not anymore than anyone else per se, but tenough to lose loyal remington buyers.
870's used to be a dead reliable bulletproof shotgun, but over the last decade they have started using cheaper parts and breakages and problems are more common where they used to be extremely rare. Same with 1100's, 700's are still good, though the quality of the wood in the stocks isn't what it used to be, and from what Ive seen, the plastic stocks on their 700 adl's are flexible junk.

Its pretty much a move made by alot of manufacturers- if they want to sell you a gun in the $500 range, they cannot use forged parts, they use more stamped and cast parts- Though I think Ruger has the investment casting process down and make a nice product from it, more manufacturers are using MIM and die cast parts which are cheap and invariably much more problematic than forged parts when you consider breakages.

My personal preference for new guns is Browning- they still seem to make a high quality product through and through, though my next rifle will probably be a CZ- they've been in business for about 75 years, and have always made high quality stuff- even under the shroud of communism.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:46 PM
jjt

alot depends on how you rank a gun

is the most expensive the best???

i would say for the money to quality ratio (and covering a ful line of rifles) savage takes the top in this category
i own a few savages and they are great(not the highest quality but not the highest priced either)

i would also agree with briman on browning i have several browning rifles all are high quality and i very rarely have any problems with them
Old 04-03-2004, 02:23 AM

Personaly I think for the money you cant beat a ruger M77 bolt action(blued with wood stock). For a production gun Rugers have beautiful wood, Blueing, and they feel great. I like remington's, I like Savage for the price, I like brownings. I would say go to the store pick each one up and feel it. Does it fit you, can you afford it, is it in a caliber/finish you want, Barrel length, etc. Savage has synthetic combos with a scope cheap. They are decent woods guns. I have seen these combos in 270 and 30-06 for like $300 and A coworker just bought a 300 win mag combo for like $350 out the door. Check out of all places WalMart. They can order guns(if its in thier catalog) and they even sell browning and weatherbee.

Happy shopping
Jay
Old 04-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Iike many of the brands well. To me it a question of value. Am I going to gey my monies worth. Its hard to beat Savage for getting a good shooting rugged gun for the money. However Savage has forced the other gun makers to compete and part of the way they do it is by bringing out some so called stiped down models. Remington has thier synthetic line of 700's which I find to be a very good gun for the money. 419.00 where I live. Ruger has allways been a good solid gun for the money although I am tired of thier nearly unshootable triggers. Remington triggers are easy to adjust and then have a pretty nice pull. You can always pay more for one of the top of the line rifles if you happen to have the money loose at the time. I don't like fancy stocks and such so I go for the value.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:28 PM

I am a big Ruger fan, in my opinion it is the best most innovative company out there. I would buy only Ruger if they made all types of guns
Old 04-04-2004, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Winchester!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at Tikka. They are made by Sako and imported by Beretta. They can be found for less than 500 dollars and are very good guns. They come from the factory with a free floated cold-hammerforged barrel, a very crisp trigger that adjusts from 2-4 lbs, a buttplate that is adjustable for length of pull and a bolt that glides slicker than silicone on fresh owl $h*t. Heck Wal-Mart can even order you one.

Quick Reply: best gun brand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.