Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Accuracy

Old 02-08-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Ruger Accuracy

I'm looking at getting a new rifle in the near future. Ruger is on my short list. How do they compare to the Tikkas, Remingtons, and Brownings in the accuracy dept.?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Accuracy

I'd say you have nothing to worry about if you buy a new Ruger M77 MkII. I can't speak for the sported weight M77 MkII's but I own a M77VT varmint rifle in 22-250 and it has always shot sub-MOA with factory ammo. I'm excited for spring because I just got my handloading setup and I'm eager to begin working up precision handloads for this rifle. I'm hoping handloads get the groups down to .5MOA or less.

I think that you may have heard that Ruger's rifles are somewhat erratic in the accuracy dept., with some being very accurate and some being very poor. This stems from a time past where Ruger contracted out the production of their barrels to other firms that didn't always produce a product up to Rugers standards. When Ruger became aware of the questionable nature of the quality of their barrels then decided to begin making all their rifle barrels in house to ensure that they comply with strict quality contol standards. After that move Ruger rifles have been on par accuracy wise with all other major makers of production rifles.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Ruger makes great guns, and I've only had one regret about buying my M77. And that's that the target grey metal and laminate stock are just too pretty for me to bring myself to spray paint it camo for it to be a good coyote rifle.

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 05:47 PM

i have two mkIIs one in .257 roberts and the other is a .300 win. mag both shoot very well i also have a older one with the tang safty in 30.06 and it will shoot one inch groups all day
Old 02-09-2004, 04:12 AM

Ruger's generally have below average accuracy. It ranges from " acceptable" to " absolutely terrible". I wouldn't buy a ruger expecting to get good accuracy. All I've ever owned have fallen into the "absolutely terrible" catagory.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I owned a Mark II 25.06 and it shot better than I could ever shoot it. The only problem I had, is that it was very picky on what ammo it liked and what ammo it did not like. With 100 gr Remington Core-locks I could shoot sub 1" groupings, but with anything else it was much worse. The shots would actually be all over the target. I've had some better shooters than me try the rifle and they were able to attain 3/4" groupings with the same rounds.

I think this is fairly common with several manufacturers, but maybe not to this extent. All you have to do is do a little research and try as many different bullet manmufacturers and weight combinations to find which one your rifle likes the most. If you hand load, you have even more options and can fine tune your bullet/weight round selection to attain even greater accuracy.

I would own one again in a heart beat! As a matter of fact, I am regretting that I ever sold the 25.06 every time I think about it. I'm sure I will pick up another Ruger within the next couple of years or so.

Matt
Old 02-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Ruger M77 MKII is one of my more accurate bolt guns. From what I have observed at the local ranges the Rugers are every bit as capable as any other mass produced bolt action.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no complaint with any of my M-77's.I haven't handloaded for a long time ,so I've been using Factory rounds.One of these days I'll start reloading for them .My one M-77 in 7mm Rem Mag didn't like the Federal Premium 130gr "Ballistic Tips".I was disappointed that it just didn't like them. I tried Remington 150gr "Core Lokts" and was getting about 1" groups.I'm sure I will shrink that working up a load for it. It's more then acceptable for hunting situations.I think you'll be more then satisfied with a Ruger M-77.Ruger's triggers do need to be lighten and smoothed up. Ruger will do a 3.5# trigger job. I heard not knowing this to be a fact that you have to sign a release before they'll rework it.I had a friend rework mine and they came out really nice . They break around 3-3.5#'s and are slick as Owl S...
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-09-2004, 06:40 PM

The most accurate sporting weight rifle I've ever owned was a M77 in 338. With one particular handload, it routinely shot one hole 3 shot groups. It never shot worse than 11/2" groups with any of the different bullets I tried, and most shot less than an inch. The rifle had been glass bedded. I also still own a M77V in 22-250. No factory loads have ever shot more than an inch, and I have shot a number of one hole 3 shot groups. I also had a M77 in 30-06--with good handloads, it too shot sub moa groups regularly. My sense after working up loads with these guns is that they were easier than most rifles to dial in. I also love the built in bases. If your limited to factory loads, go by 5 or 6 different loads in the weight you want--I'm sure you will find one that shoots great!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes you have to play around with the angled fore end screw to find just the right tightness. I have had half a dozen Ruger Bolt guns. Never had one that would not shoot one inch or better. They do need trigger work to shoot thier best. I don't think there is anything out there thats much better than the Ruger Guns. All of them.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so you can see that I'm not blowing smoke when I say my Ruger M77 is accurate, I'll post some pics of targets I've scanned.

All these groups were shot off a bench with a Harris bipod and sandbags under the buttstock using factory Winchester White Box 45gr JHP's (22-250) at 100 yards.

Quick Reply: Ruger Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.