Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

SIMMONS Pro 50

Old 02-06-2004, 05:35 PM

Default SIMMONS Pro 50

Recently purchased a Browning Safari 30 06 bar. Need a scope. Last year I used my buddy's Simmon Aetec 2.8-10 44mm. and did well with it, but in low light it was difficult to see. Thought about the Simmons with 50mm. reticle for better light. Anyone use one? That was the only complaint I had about it. Like to hear some feed back. Also, does an illuminated scope add to vision or only the reticle view ? Thanks and good hunting!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SIMMONS Pro 50

I don't know if I can help you or not. I have not owned a 50MM Simmons. I did however just get (today) A Simmons Pro-Hunter straight 6X40. I took it out just about at dark tonight with my Leuplod 3x9 for comparison. That new 6X40 blows away my Leupold. I was looking across at the park where there was a lot of big cedar trees. I could see under the trees well at almost dark. This baby gathers some serious light. I have been reading customer reviews on this scope for a year or more and finally decided to give one a try. I like 6X scopes but they are getting hard to find. Luepold has a good 6X power but this Simmons is 200.00 dollars cheaper. Many of the reviews I read were by people who have this scope on Big Magnum rifles like the 458 Win Mag. I have yet to read a review that was negative in any way about this scope. Now before the flack starts to fly, I am aware that only time will prove this scope to be durable and hold its Zero. And I will get the old you get what you pay for. But this scope is unbelievably clear and sharp as well. I am getting a couple more and putting them on the shelf until I need them. They have a life time warranty. If it does not perform well I will be back on here with the details but from what I have seen so far its a keeper big time. I am going to start out with it on my new Ruger all weather 260.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:20 AM

I also see the "get what you pay for" reply. The leupold scopes seem very good but in a 50mm reticle the lowest setting is 3x magnification in VX ll. Where I hunt now my longest shot is about 250 yds. With the boss system I have no sights and need a lower setting for closer shots. The Pro 50 has 2.8 low set and seems to fill the bill better at moving targets. Don't think the 6x would sight in fast enough for me at short range. My friend has the Simmons white tail but likes his Aetec better. Both have been very reliable, never fog up. His Aetec has held it's zero for 3 yrs. now and still no problems. Does the Leupold have that much better lense coatings than the Simmons for better viewing in low light, both being 50mm. ?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know a lot about the coatings. I only know what I can see. The new 6X is so clear it's scary. My shots are almost all in open country and almost always 200 yards minimum. A straight 6X works great for me. When we go to Canada for Bear and moose hunts I use an old Redfield Tracker 2X7. This is hunting in woods and heavy cover type hunting. I have not shot at a running animal for a dozen years or so therefore I don't need quite as much field of view. I hunt from ambush type positions and I can't remember the last time the animal didn't drop in its tracks. Durability is the only question left to determine on the Pro-Hunter 6X As I said all the reviews I have been able to find show it to be a very reliable scope. I have had zero trouble with quite a few fixed power cheaper scopes. Not so good of luck with cheap variables.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 PM

I have had a Pro 50 before and i did not like it. I have a Aetec now and it's a much better scope than the pro 50. If your looking for a scope thats good and not to pricey check out the Aetec, Nikon buckmaster scopes,Leupold VX I or Burris fullfield. I dont think you will be happy with the pro 50 after a couple of years. That BAR is to nice of a rifle to put a cheap scope on.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:06 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I, too, like the Aetec. Really like the settings and the low magnification. If the view in low light were better, I’d swear by it. I assume you had some problems with the Pro 50. The other 2 scopes I’m considering are the Leupold VX II { 3x9x50mm. w/ multicoat 4 lense coating, approx. $300 } and the VX III { 3.5x10x50mm. w/ index matched lenses, approx. $500 }. I agree the bar should be topped with a super scope, but the wife is pulling back the reins. Seems I have unfinished projects that require funding. She has no priorities !! I have seen that Bass Pro is selling the VX III with the old lense coatings. Must be clearing out the stock room. If you can, let me know what problems you had with the Pro 50.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 AM

Can you tell me what is supose to be the best scope from Simmons?

Ice
Old 02-11-2004, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

The Aetec is the primo scope in the Simmons lineup. As far as the difference between the view at 2.8 mag vs 3.0 mag I doubt that the human eye would even notice a .2 change. That said, I would still go with the 2.8-10 X 44 Aetec as they have worked VERY well for me. I have 1 on the 35 Whelen and 1 on the 444. Each have seen 200= rounds and have not moved off zero.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:02 PM

The Aetec also has the fast focus lever which works well with gloves on. Just recieved Cabela's new cat. and they are dropping most of the Simmons line in it. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Pro 50 4 years ago just for the 50 objective. I mounted on 12 gauge for deer hunting in low light woods settings. I've had no problems and figure this scope gives me another 10+ minutes of shooting light at lowest setting.