Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger MKII trigger

Old 11-21-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Ruger MKII trigger

Is the Ruger MKII an adjustable trigger or do I have to have it filed or replaced with a Timney? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger MKII trigger

If brought to a competent gunsmith it can be stoned and adjusted to a very nice trigger...everything except overtravel can be adjusted...a gunsmith would have to drill and tap back of trgger and install a minute screw for that ... if you want the overtravel removed it would probably be cheaper to have a Timney installed. The Ruger trigger and sear are probably one of the most rugged and simple designs ever just takes a good gunsmith
Old 11-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

I understand trigger weight is about preference but

where is a good place to be?

If a person has a rifle with a factory trigger and has never shot more than slinging lead at moving animals.

Is there a certain weight that is listed as an optimal trigger weight?

Old 11-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good question ...I would think for a general hunting application then a 4lb to 3lb crisp trigger should handle the majority of things... Weight of the rifle ..type of action and caliber chambered are some of the factors that determine how the trigger poundage is set. Personally I used to set all my stuff at 2 - 2 1/2 lbs and changed it to 3 to 3 1/2 lbs and see no difference but at the lower poundage sometimes I wasn' t frozen in my positiion and the gun went off... pulling some groups
Old 11-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

If brought to a competent gunsmith it can be stoned and adjusted to a very nice trigger...

I agree with OEH. I had a friend do trigger jobs on my M-77 MKII' s and they came out really nice.They now break around 3-3.5#' s.I have no experience with Timney triggers .After seeing what can be done with a Ruger Factory trigger I see no reason for a Timney.Make sure who does it is competent
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-21-2003, 05:34 PM

I have the Ruger 22/45 and was pleased with the trigger right out of the box, this is an extremly accurate gun with the right ammo. Now I' m wondering if the trigger was tuned a bit if it would shoot even better.....HMMM

Old 11-22-2003, 10:39 PM

I have a Ruger M77 MarkII and my trigger was adjusted by a gunsmith. The trigger is perfect. It is set a 2.5 lbs and no creep at all. It is definately possible to adjust the trigger of a Ruger, if you know what you are doing. There are a few different aftermarket triggers available for the ruger. I have heard good things about Timney, but I don' t know first hand.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:36 AM

My gunsmith told me that he has to do some work on the timmney' s so he chooses to work on the factory trigger instead. Thats fine by me as it saved me some cash. I now have a trigger that breaks clean at 3lbs. All for $25.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

How do you measure the weight of the trigger?
I have heard of a trigger guage.
Is this the only way?

What does it cost to buy one?

Bill