Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger M77/MKII >

Ruger M77/MKII

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger M77/MKII

Old 08-19-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Ruger M77/MKII

Presently I shoot a Savage .308 lever action (dear friend left me prior to his passing) just for Whitetail. Thinking of a new rifle for Whitetail, and possibly Moose & Elk.

I have a Ruger Red label double that I love so I am thinking of a Ruger M77 MKII in 30-06. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? Thoughts?

Many Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger M77/MKII

I have a Ruger 77 MKII in 270 Win. The fit and finish of the rifle is good. Overall the rifle is very well made. I must admit that I was not pleased with it after the first trip to the range, but after floating the barrel, bedding the action and a trigger job the rifle shoots great. Most Rugers have heavy triggers and will stand a good trigger job. As far as the 30-06 Sprng, it will fit the bill for what you want to hunt but so will the 308 Win. They are ballistically similar with a slight edge going to the 30-06 when using heavier bullets.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a M77 MK II All Weather(synthetic stock and stainless steel) in 30-06 and am extremely happy with the gun. It has functioned flawlessly for the last 5 years. The trigger is just a tad heavy for my tastes, so I still may have some trigger work done in the near future.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:07 PM

I have the same gun, except in a .270. I have been very happy with my Ruger. I have had the gun for 3 years now, and not one bad thing to say about my gun. Well, the trigger was really stiff. For $25 a gunsmith made that factory trigger THE best trigger out of my assortment of guns.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Like everyone else says, I like my Ruger. The trigger was way too heavy and I had a good gunsmith do a trigger job on it for $40. It' s still not shooting quite the way I want, but I haven' t had it long enough to find a load it likes. Or maybe it needs some stock work. Could be the guy behind the gun. Jim
Old 08-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have it in a 243.win,25-06.and 300Win and have no complaints with any of them . I do most of my hunting with the 243 or the 25-06 for deer .
Old 08-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some of the Ruger M-77' s. Most are the " All Weather" . A few blued and Walnut stocked.Mine shoot pretty good.They aren' t a target rifle but accurate enough for hunting.My 7mm R.M. didn' t like the Federal Ballistic Tips.I tried Remington CoreLokts and tightened my group up.You pretty much need to have the trigger lightened.They come in several different calibers. .I don' t think you' ll go wrong with a Ruger M-77. Just deciding what configuration you want might be the problem.The M-77' s also come with Ruger Rings which is a 50.00-60.00 value.If you need higher or lower rings Ruger will exchange them. They come with medium height rings.The 30-06 is a good all around cartridge.Top it off with good glass and you' ll be set.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Host of Hosts

Nice rifle, that will work great for whitetails and most other N. American game.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2003, 09:09 PM

Hey you all,
Many thanks for the replies!

Sounds like I could go with the Ruger and expect some trigger work. Probably could go with something else, but the Ruger " feels" better in my hands than the Winchester or Remington. . . Sako, Browning - a little out of the $ range. Plus I like that Walnut and plan to float the barrel anyway.

Thanks again for your expertice - you all are awesome.

Have a safe & good season,
Tom

Quick Reply: Ruger M77/MKII

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.