Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

need input on 7mm

Old 11-19-2003, 08:05 PM

Default need input on 7mm

have a chance to trade a bow for a model 70 classic sporter 7mm STW. I am familiar with the gun, but have no experience with this caliber. any input would be appreceited. thanks,larry
Old 11-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: need input on 7mm

Basically the 7mm STW is an extremely flat shooting cartridge that has enough power to take everything from pronghorn antelope to moose out to a very long range.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have two 7mmstw' s.Theywork well for any big game up to and including elk and moose.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 PM

Long if you are a reloader or have a good friend who is, then this is one fine catridge. If you are sworn or locked into factory ammo, then pass it by. The STW isnt available in very much factory ammo and even a more abysmal selection of bullets. Anyother 7mag from the 7 Remington on up to the 7 Ultra has a better selection that is continually growing. I personally like the cartridge, but to be honest I think you will see it go the extinct route simply due to the short mags and the 7 Ultra growing yearly on the market. People wanting a 7 bigger/hotter than the 7mm Rem Mag simply skip the 7STW for the Ultra and I dont think that trend will reverse anytime soon.

Good luck,
RA
Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 AM

well, if I get it I will be getting into handloading, what are some recommended bullets for this gun?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

With the velocity that the 7mm STW generates, you need to look toward controlled expansing bullets. Such as, Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded bear claw, Swift A-Frame and the Barnes-X. I have had good results with the Partition and the Barnes in my 7mm Weatherby Mag. The STW will produce higher velocity. The Nosler Ballistic Tip is very accurate but the possibility of bullet failure is high if your game is up close. I have two acquintances that I see at the shooting range from time to time that own STW' s. Both of them have the best accuracy with the Nosler Partition. They both also choose the 160 gr as their all around load. By this I mean deer & elk.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:17 PM

larry, go onto www.lazzeroni.com and check out the 120 7mm Lazerhead that would be right at home in your STW. It is a bullet that was developed by John Lazzeroni, Craig Barnes and Robar. It is INCREDIBLE. The new Triple Shock by Barnes is essentially the same bullet. In the past when you shot Barnes X bullets you gave up a lil accuracy for ultimate performance, NO LONGER! These bullets have the supertough, solid copper Xbullet performance but turn in .5" groups at 100yds even when fired at ultra-high velocities. It is the best of both worlds and now we supermag shooters CAN have our cake and eat it too!!!

DROP EM WHERE THEY STAND!
RA
Old 11-20-2003, 11:18 PM

longbowlarry,

I bought the same exact gun 2 weeks ago. When I get a scope on it and work up some loads I will post the results.

Man the case volume is impressive with this round.