Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
270 reduced recoil shells? >

270 reduced recoil shells?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

270 reduced recoil shells?

Old 12-16-2017, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Iron Ranger View Post
Thanks Guys, I am just a little skeptical of the reduced recoil shells. The hard part is talking him into the fact he is getting old. Thanks again.
hey, this gettin old **** ain't for sissies! ask me how I know?
RR
Old 12-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
hey, this gettin old **** ain't for sissies! ask me how I know?
RR
Ain't that the truth, my 7mm Mag has been collecting dust for years. The last time I shot it from the prone position I said to myself "this sucker kills in front and cripples behind". I left that session with a hand sized bruise on my shoulder and I said never again.

A semi auto does a lot to mitigate recoil. I've been thinking hard about a BAR in .308. My bolt rifle in .308 doesn't really kick that hard, but it is really heavy.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-16-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
Ain't that the truth, my 7mm Mag has been collecting dust for years. The last time I shot it from the prone position I said to myself "this sucker kills in front and cripples behind". I left that session with a hand sized bruise on my shoulder and I said never again.

A semi auto does a lot to mitigate recoil. I've been thinking hard about a BAR in .308. My bolt rifle in .308 doesn't really kick that hard, but it is really heavy.
a good pad (pachmeyer decelerator or a SVL) will cut felt recoil 50%, take note though the SVL pads react to the carpet in gun safes, so ya gotta shave them occasionally. a break will make recoil negligible but its loud!
RR
Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Uncle View Post
The published charts are odd, but it looks like the reduced recoil choice would turn your father's 300 Win Mag into a 308 Win. A mild load in a 308 Win will cleanly take any deer.

If the published velocity is anywhere near correct then the reduced recoil choice would produce a fine deer rifle without changing anything but the ammunition for your father. I imagine it would be a hard pill to swallow if someone told a fellow that he was getting too old for his trusted rifle.
That's a good point. Might be worth getting a box and shooting to see. If he could keep using his same rifle, with less recoil, it might make him happy.

My grandfather always said "getting old isn't for the weak"

-Jake
Old 12-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
My grandfather always said "getting old isn't for the weak"

-Jake
He was exactly right, it ain't for sissies!
RR
Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about a break on the Winnie? My dad got a muzzle break on his 7mm Rem Mag. He is 87 and still shoots it. He got a nice buck last year.