Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Need opinions for new rifle! >

Need opinions for new rifle!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Need opinions for new rifle!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought her one in 270 Win. and put a used Ziess Conquest 3-9x40mm scope that I got for a good price on it. I went though a few factory loads .... 5 if I recall correctly. The best grouping of those I tried was the Hornady Super Performance, 130 gr. SST. As far as the group? At 100 yards, it grouped about as good as I can hold. I shot 3 groups of 3 rounds each. A quarter would cover each group.

What impressed me most about the rifle initially was that the trigger felt pretty dang good !! I did not measure the pull, but it felt like around 3.5# - 4# and broke crisply. Then to end up with a very nice grouper ... not bad for a $400 rifle.

She hunts white tail deer with me. She has had only one shot opportunity. She killed her first deer last fall. A nice 2 1/2 year old, 155#, 8 pt. About a 90 yard shot. Double lung. It ran maybe 75 yards. She was fired up.

Last edited by Mojotex; 06-16-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Spike

There are tons of good shooting rifles on the market and some are very reasonably priced. I bought a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless last year and so far I am in love.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My recommendations would be the Browning A-Bolt 2 (503$ at budsgunshop) A-Bolt 3 runs about 400$, or the Ruger American (just over 300$) , any of the above in 7mm08 or 308. Put a decent scope on it, work up a good load or find a decent factory load, and you'll be handing it down to your kids after a lifetime of enjoyment. I'm a HUGE Browning A-Bolt fan! I have 3 and wanting to build myself a 4th. I have 1 in .284, 1 in 30-06 my best friend & brother gave me, and a 35 whelen I built. They'll do anything I want!