Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
A-Bolt without the BOSS? >

A-Bolt without the BOSS?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

A-Bolt without the BOSS?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default A-Bolt without the BOSS?

I was looking through the new Browning catalog. Looks to me like most of the A-Bolts come with the BOSS. Does anyone know if you can still get them without the BOSS option?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say "yes". I bought an A-Bolt at a local gun shop about 3 months ago for my grandson. No BOSS.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

yea you can get them without the BOSS system. the BOSS is a upgrade/modification so its really not standard unless you pay for it. Its only like 40$ I think and I would recommend it. I have an A-bolt without it and it is a great gun. There are like 4 other guys in my hunting club that have that BOSS system on their A-bolts' and they love them and I have shot their guns and personally I think it made a difference. Not a huge diff but noticeable compared to shooting without it.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

any reason why you want to NOT have the boss?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

I bought an abolt in 264 Win Mag a couple months ago. Being as it already has a 26" barrel, wouldn't want the extra added length of the BOSS. My local shop ha several abolts on the shelf, none with BOSS. As a hanloader, I see no advantage.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NjHunter85
any reason why you want to NOT have the boss?
I have a couple.

* They shoot just fine without that ugly chunk out there on the end of the barrel.

* That ugly chunk makes them look like a shotgun with a PolyChoke on the end of the barrel.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reason for no BOSS.

As mentioned ... extra length, cosmetics, extra weight, not drop-dead necessary, costs extra.

Every A-Bolt I have ever shot has been a non-BOSS rifle and has grouped very well.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have an A-bolt but do have 2 BARs in 338WM. One has the Boss system and the other doesn't. The Boss equipped rifle is a little bit longer. The biggest difference I and my hunting buddy noticed was the extra noise with the Boss. My buddy doesn't want to hunt near me when I have the rifle with the Boss and I also noticed it was louder. These days, I use the non-Boss BAR and it works just fine.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 7mm mag with boss gun is a shootin fool!!! .5 MOA
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I have a couple.

* They shoot just fine without that ugly chunk out there on the end of the barrel.

* That ugly chunk makes them look like a shotgun with a PolyChoke on the end of the barrel.
+1. Ugly is right.