Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Altamont grip review (lots of pictures) >

Altamont grip review (lots of pictures)

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Altamont grip review (lots of pictures)

Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Altamont grip review (lots of pictures)

Hello all. I recently ordered a pair of grips from Altamont and I thought I would share my experience.

The pistol: a Ruger MkIII "Hunter." The factory cocobolo grips that come with this pistol are very nice. But the pistol is on the heavy side and I wanted a grip that would give me something bigger to hold on to.

The grips: I decided on a pair of wrap-around grips from Altamont:

www.altamontco.com

The grips are the "Ultimate Target" in "Super Rosewood" - whatever that is. The checkering is "standard checkering."

Price: $65.00. I was nervous about ordering these online. $65.00 is a lot of money for grips for me. A call to the company and I was assured of a 100% guarantee.

Shipping: Online checkout did not have any options for shipper or shipping speed so I did not know when the grips would arrive. I was pleasantly surprised when the grips arrived 2 days later having shipped USPS priority mail.

The grip comes as 2 seperate pieces that are pinned together in the front. I was hoping for a single solid piece of wood that was hollowed out - Hogue does this for their SP101 grip.

The grips went on very easily. Because the pins/pin holes had to be lined up the grip screws were screwed in just enough to keep the screws from falling out but loose enough so the grip panels could be moved. Once everything was lined up the screws were tightened down. Everything lined up perfectly.

There is a very small gap (seam) where the 2 panels come together. It does not bother me unless I go looking for something to be bothered about with the grips. I live in Phoenix Arizona things tend to dry out here - who knows perhaps if I lived in a more humid area the wood would swell enough to close the gap.

You can see seam in the next 2 pics:

The back is left open for access to the main spring housing.

Observations: I have not yet had the chance to shoot the pistol with the new grips so final judgement will wait. So far I am very happy with the look and feel of the grips and my experience with Altamont.

Checkering: Well etched checkering that holds your hands without the roughness from cheap etching.

The Altamont wrap-around grips definitely give you more to hold on to. If you have average-to-large hands you will like the fit. If you have smaller hands - hold on to your receipt.

Due to the thumb rest reaching the controls (bolt release, safety and mag release) is a little harder. For the typical shooter it should not be a problem. If you like to shoot fast it might be an issue for you.

Holstering: I have not yet tried the new grips in a holster. I hope the thumbrest will not cause any issues.

So what did I do with the old grips? As it just so happens my daughter has a Mk III "standard." These pistols come with a cheap plastic grip:

Well not anymore!

If you are in the market for some new pistol grips give the Altamont grips a look. They are well made and look good. Thanks.