Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger No.1

Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those # 1s are too nice and too much gun to languish in a gun safe, they are made to hunt with.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Used a #1 in 7x57 Mauser a PG buddy of mine owned in South Africa on this impala. Tipped it over just fine.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I LOVE the Ruger #1B in .280AI! I've installed the accurizer that basically does the same thing as shimming the forend with adjustable pressure, a single set trigger, and I restocked it with exhibition grade Claro Walnut I had lying around waiting for a good use. It reliably groups under 1 moa for 5 shots out farther than I have any business shooting! A close friend of mine that happens to be a guide in Wy, told me he LOVES it when a hunter shows up with a single shot rifle, as he KNOWS they'll be able to shoot very well. That's the ONLY other rifle I like personally besides the Browning A-Bolt.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

My ONLY complaint with the 1B is the weight. It's heavy (mine was in .270).
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger No. 1B in the 6mm Remington, it is a tack driver and extremely effective on deer. I love it! I always wanted a Ruger No1, and the 6mm is what I killed my first deer with, years ago. One of my dads friends told me he had a No.1 chambered in the 6mm, he only shot a half a box of shells out of it when he first bought it. He was the original owner, said it sat in his safe for years. He told me that he would sell it to me for $350, I about crapped my pants. Needless to say, it is now mine. Probably the best buy I have ever made. I had a guy recently try to trade me a Remington 700 VSSF 22-250 for it, I refused, he offered me $1000. I told him this gun isn't going anywhere, its one of my favorites. With the 26" barrel and handloads, the 6mm really shines." />
Old 07-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a gorgeous Ruger you have there fritz1!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's a gorgeous Ruger you have there fritz1!
Have to agree. And for $350!!! I'd say you did more than ALMOST crap your pants Man i would have been diggin in my pocket so fast it would have probably started a fire!

I have a couple of the #1's, One in 30/06 (Bit of a shoulder buster but accurate as hell) and one in .45/70 which I pull out on occasion for heavy woods hunting or Bison. Both have been worked on a little, little shave here and there to free up the forearm and most definitely trigger jobs. While they aren't as bad as most Ruger rifle triggers, they sure weren't up to MY snuff! But after a little stoning to the set, all's well with them both. The .06 is a one ragged hole with my handloads for it. Wasn't TOO far off from that with factory Winchesters if memory serves me correctly (it's been since 1980). The .45/70 never saw a factory round. Shoots around .5 to .75 MOA as it's a bit on the heat sensitive side. The colder the day, the tighter the group.

Edit to add: They are also the ONLY Ruger rifles I have ever owned for more than 2 months and actually like! Only other Rugers I own are wheel guns!

Last edited by super_hunt54; 07-02-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yall should check out the Kepplinger single set triggers for the #1! It'll spoil you REAL quick!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I have a Ruger No. 1B in the 6mm Remington, it is a tack driver and extremely effective on deer. I love it! I always wanted a Ruger No1, and the 6mm is what I killed my first deer with, years ago. One of my dads friends told me he had a No.1 chambered in the 6mm, he only shot a half a box of shells out of it when he first bought it. He was the original owner, said it sat in his safe for years. He told me that he would sell it to me for $350, I about crapped my pants. Needless to say, it is now mine. Probably the best buy I have ever made. I had a guy recently try to trade me a Remington 700 VSSF 22-250 for it, I refused, he offered me $1000. I told him this gun isn't going anywhere, its one of my favorites. With the 26" barrel and handloads, the 6mm really shines." />
Have same gun, but in a 338 win. mag.