Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger No.1

Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger No.1

Do any of you folks use a No.1 for deer or elk hunting.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2, a #1B in 270 weatherby mag, and a #1V in 22-250, have killed a pile of deer with the 270 and a few with the 22-250, not the most accurate of rifles but they are acceptable for most hunting.
RR
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 1b in 30-06 that has taken many deer. Mine required forend work and good handloads to get acceptable accuracy (1-1.25 moa).
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 1B in .243 is my usual deer and pronghorn rifle since the mid 1990s. Nothing else I own handles quite the way it does. While accuracy is certainly acceptable (1" at 100 yards), I really haven't spent the time working with it to really see how well I can get it to do with reloads.

I'm on the lookout now for a Number 1 in .280
Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

While they may not be target rifles, Ruger No.1's are a fine rifle. They can shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I own them from 22-250 to 375 H&H. Even the 375 H&H will shoot clover leaf groups at 100 yards. I'm a bit bias but for the money you can't buy a finer rifle out there. I've won a lot of regional matches with them to 600 yards and that's with the same hunting load I use. 600 yards is more than most people will ever attempt in a hunting situation.

The benefits of the No 1:

You won't find a better off hand shooting rifle on the market. A well balanced rifle quick and comes up like a shotgun. While some will disagree sub MOA groups right out of the box. (Keep in mind some Ruger No 1. calibers have slower twist rifling's this is where I believe most screw up in picking out a rifle for a particular job). Triggers are better than most bolt action triggers straight out of the box.

The con's of a Ruger No. 1

Trigger has some creep. I've never minded the No.1 triggers. But I've had one worked over at the gunshop for $65.00 and man that is a sweet trigger. The rest go in for work during the off season. Simply amazing after work is done.

Forends. Yes I have shimmed all my forends on my No. 1's. I did all of these myself from brass. Basically you are spacing the ejection bar away from the forend, creating more relief away from the barrel. Very simple and it did improve accuracy where a situation put added stress on the forend stock. The newer models have a raised burr at the end of the forend for some reason. File it out or use a dremel it's quite simple enough. But they did shoot under 1" before all this work. After work I did notice more consistent groups after heating up the barrel.

These rifles are tailor made for the reloader. And they like velocity. I have one 300 win mag that shoot 165gr bullet at 3244 fps and clover leaf groups at 100 yards. Up to 15 consecutive shots without impact change. That's some heat. I have tried that reload in some other friends rifles, lets just say you better have a rubber mallet with you to get the bolt back open while the Ruger No.1 shows no effects or problems shooting it. Food for thought.

I'm bias it's the only rifle I care to even look at. But I've also been called old school so take it for what it's worth. I'm a believer.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only have one #1 left. It's a 1-S configuration in 300 H&H mag. Decent shooter but a gorgeous looker.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love the #1s. I haven't had a bad one, and have had quite a few. They handle great and shoot better.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Thanks folks
Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Spike

For years I had a #1 270 Win. It shot 3\8th groups at 100 yards. That one is gone. I now have three, a 204 Ruger, 25-06 and a 300 Weatherby Mag. The 204 is a laser with Hornandy 32 grain VMax (Varmageddons are like throwing rocks). The 06 shot good. I am currently finishing putting in a Hicks Accurizer and bedding it. The 300 shoots well. It is hard to shoot to many. What I found with all three guns was the forearm hit the barrel most of the way. I could not get a piece of paper to go between the barrel and the gun. I sanded the channel out giving them good clearance. I also sanded the end of the forearm where it contacts the receiver. I did the two sides and the curved section on the bottom. The only place the forearm touches it the spring carrier. I took them to the range making sure when I screwed the forearm on I did not tighten them down to where they touched the receiver. The 204 shoots fantastic and at that time before the hicks the 06 shot better. I found when resting the forearm on the bag putting it under the forearm screw point they were deadly. If I placed it towards the front accuracy feel off. The last time I was at the range I decided to shoot the 204 out to 200 yards. I held over and shot. It hit where I held. I then held dead on and it hit perfect center. I am going to start reloading so I can fine tune the loads. I am waiting to go to the range and see what the Accurizer did for the 06. If you are having problems, free those forearms up.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I like the gun very much its just i'm afraid of banging up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.