Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

TC Encore 35 whelen

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default TC Encore 35 whelen

Hello fellow outdoors-men, First post here, forgive me if I was suppose to introduce myself in another area, My name is Paul, I live in Utah and have been mostly an archery hunter for 30 years.

Last year I picked up the TC encore muzzy, and so far love it, I am highly considering purchasing a 35 Whelen barrel/hinge pins/etc. for it from EA Brown, with a brake-- I called the company to ask about there JP Howitzer vs the OPS, and the only response I received was they are about the same, I have shot braked rifles before and I know they are loud, but does anyone have experience with these two? I'm looking more for the "less quiet" model, I'm sure there are other brakes out there that might fit the bill, but these are the only two models offered from this company that I am interested in.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a Bergara 45/70 full contour barrel instead. You can convert it to a excellent 45cal ML barrel later for under $150. Then you can shoot 200gr-250gr bullets about as fast as the 35 Whelen.

Checkout Bellms too if you are looking for Encore upgrades. They offer MGM and Bergara barrels. The Bergaras are great for the money and MGMs are only slightly more than the EABCO barrels.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

EABCO is a good company to deal with. I bought my 280AI barrel from them and have to say it is extremely accurate.
As far as muzzle breaks go I can't help you. I refuse to have a rifle with a muzzle break on it and also will not hunt with anyone who has one. A good recoil reducing pad like the limbsaver or decelerator is cheaper and they work wonderfully.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Spike

I have had very good luck with Bullberry products. they messed up a few things on orders but the barrels will shoot lights out.
I had a Bullberry .35 whelen and stayed with a 375 H&H encore because I have big bullet disease.
That bullberry whelen was one hole at 100 yards with the right load.
If you would like to talk about living with and reloading a 35 whelen PM I may be able to help. I still have one in a custom Mauser 98.
The 375 is a little more well rounded for my use and basically will do everything the whelen will do with a 300 gr. what the whelen does with 250 gr. bullet. 270 gr.=225gr etc.
You can find ammo and it is legal in Africa, Just in case
My .375 is a t/c barrel worked over by Bullberry as well. They do great trigger jobs too.

My experience with EA Brown has not been that great.
Bellm is better now that Mike is out of the picture. The son is much more pleasant to deal with. He will try to sell you on Bergara... I hear they are good..but made somewhere else.
MGM is a good choice. Carey built me a custom .340 weatherby barrel and it was great.
sold it as I inherited a Mark V 340 weatherby and guy just does not need 2 of those.

I have sold every gun and barrel with a brake I have ever owned. I agree with Palladin8
I do not like them due to the excessive noise and blast. The difference in recoil is just something I have learned to deal with.
On the big cal. Encores I use a pro-Hunter stock and it is a good option when dealing with recoil. the are limbsaver designed and limbsaver pad. Helps a lot.
You will really learn to like hunting with a 35 whelen Encore. Done right they are VERY accurate, lightweight, maneuverable unless you let someone convince you you need a 26" heavy barrel. The shorter 23-24" is stiffer and much more user friendly when hunting.
good luck

Last edited by stevenm2; 05-05-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: misprint