Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning A5?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Browning A5?

I am currently in the market for a new shotgun, always have had a pump and I want to move to an auto, Been searching online and asking people about them and I have not found any great info, saw they came out with a new version of the old browning auto 5 and I was interested. Anybody have any advice on good autos or anything about the a5?
Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a die hard Auto 5 guy myself, the old style. That being said, I have heard some good things about the new A5.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old (purchased in 1966) Sweet Sixteen. It's a pure delight.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I have a mid-50's A5...and I love it! It's still as tight as the day it rolled off the factory floor...my grandfather was the original owner and it shoots really nice. It has a lot more character than most new guns.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its a funny thing watching someone shoot an A5. It looks as if it is knocking the shooter silly. But that recoil action is actually pleasant to shoot. i had an Auto 5 years ago and it never let me down. But as I've done too many times, I went and traded it in for a 'newer' model shotgun. If you're set on a Browning, I would also check out the Maxus.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "old" A5's are a classic. The new A5's .... who knows what they will be viewed as down the road?

The primary difference between the two designs is the action. The old version is a rather complex, but ingenious design of gas operated movement of the barrel and bolt together, timed just so in order to accomplish safe and rapid auto loading. You can find more detail information posted on one of serveral web sites.

The new A5, in my opinion is a "copied" hump backed look with a whole different cycling design ... a Benelli like inertia system. This system is simpler, cleaner but results in heavier "felt" recoil.

For my $1200 +/-, I'd rather have a good looking used "original" A5 or a new Benelli SBE-II.