Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Rem. 700 swapped for a BLR? >

Rem. 700 swapped for a BLR?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rem. 700 swapped for a BLR?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default Rem. 700 swapped for a BLR?

So I bought a Remington 700 based on reliability reviews and the new trigger assembly in a 7mm rem-mag (love that round!). the bolt seemed like it was machined too loose and required a bit of fiddling when working rounds through. I was very dissatisfied with this, as it cost me a nice 5x6 elk. I traded it in and now have a 7mm rem-mag BLR on order. What do you guys think? Good swap, or am I crazy?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

The blr is a fine rifle. On the other hand you are getting a long action lever gun which wouldn't be my first choice. I have a blr in .308 which makes a great handling rifle with the short action. I think you will be satisfied though especially when you see how accurate it is!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy has a blr .308, very nice gun. Not sure how the LA would work like woodsman said, hopefully fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been "fondeling" the BLR's as of lately. Like the rest of the Browning line they are finished nice. I personally prefer short action cartridges but in all honesty, i can't see how an extra 1/2" of through on the action is gonna make a difference. If you like the 7mmRM get it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

my buddy has one in 270 and loves it. He has taken several deer with it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

It's a good deal if you are happy and it's what you want! I have a couple Remmy 700's, but they are older ones (70's - 80's)...and I have a pair of BLR's, again older ones (70's) and they are both short action guns (243 and 308)...not sure I'd really want a long action lever gun as my elk rifle...but then again, maybe I would.

PS...I love my BLR's...great rifle!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd do that anytime...my last two Remington 700's were nothing to brag about. They went down the road. Browning's are well made.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. Can't say as I'm worried about the longer action. Just as long as it cycles through smoothly I'll be happy. One more thing to get used to in the pre-season. Much obliged!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to hear that about the Rem. 700. I ahve two older models, both of which are excellent handling and very accurate. My brother bought a Rem. 770. I sighted it in for him. To say the least I wish he had saved his $$$.

I have experience with only 2 Browning BLR's .... again both were older models. One in 243 Win. and one in 308 Win. Both handled well and both were accurate. I'd figure the 7 mm Rem. that you have would not be any different as far as being slick and accurate.