Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 695

Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Mossberg 695

Although I have lived in Ohio most of my life, I have never shot a deer with a slug gun. I typically rifle hunt in other states, and only bow hunt in Ohio. However, a few years back I picked up a Mossberg 695 just in case I ever needed it. I got it really cheap. Well, this year I got drawn for a special hunt in Ohio that takes place on Oct. 20th. So, I decided it was time to scope the 695 and get some range time. I couldn't be happier!
Here is the 695 with the Nikon scope I put on it. The camo wrap was on it when I bought it. He had it on the barrel too, but I took it off of the barrel.

I first bore sighted it and then shot till I had it on paper at fifty yards. Then I moved to a hundred yards.
Here is a 3 shot hundred yard group.

I then adjusted the scope up and took two more shots.

I would have taken a three shot group for the last picture, but that was the end of a box of shells and I didn't wanna open another one. In all it took 12 shots to get it in the black. Not too bad.
I'm shooting Remington Accutips. I couldn't be happier with this gun. It shot far better than I expected it too
-Jake
Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the Mossberg, a few years I did the very same thing, I have always hunted with a rifle but the price was right & "just in case" My only regret is that I did not purchase two of them. shortly after I purchased I started hunting in a shotgun zone & the 695 has proven itself over & over, just a real good slug gun, I have been to the range with both the A-bolt & Savage present, Now I didn't out shoot them, but I wouldn't say they out shot me, & so far it is far and beyond more accurate than the H&R USH I recently purchased, (but I am still working on that) & it is not picky as to what I feed it.
If I were you I would keep an eye out for an extra Magazine/clip or two, I am not sure about now, but when I was looking they were hard to find. Good Luck Doc

Here is mine (taking a break)
Not the prettiest gun in the rack, but it is a shooter & that ported barrel has a big bark!!!

Last edited by DocD; 09-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

It is one of my uglier guns, but the deer certainly won't mind! And yes, it is very loud! Even with the ear plugs in I could tell it was a loud one!
-Jake
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Just a heads up, There was a recall on some of those guns, you can do a search or better yet contact Mossberg, Not sure just what it was about, I THINK it had something to do with the gun discharging when locking in, (I'm not real sure) Mine was fine, yours could be also, better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck Doc
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's info on the recall:
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of its Model 695 bolt action shotguns. The recall is being initiated as a result of recent findings by company officials that a limited number of shotguns may discharge when closing the bolt during the loading of a live shell into the chamber.
The Mossberg Model 695 shotguns under recall were produced in 1995 and 1996, within serial numbers ranging from M000101 to M015304, inclusive.
No other firearm models within the Mossberg product line are affected by the recall.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Ya, thanks for the heads up. I read about that recall on this site and followed up on it a while back. My gun was also OK.
-Jake
Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I had one of those and sold it. I wish I had kept it now. It was a great shooter just a long trigger pull.lol
Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Ya, the only thing with a worse trigger is my crossbows! I think I even like my Nagant triggers more than the 695! But, I've shot the nagants a lot more also.
-Jake