Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 695 mis-fire

Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mossberg 695 mis-fire

Last year at the range with the 695 I had the misfortune of having the gun mis-fire, it happen twice that day both times the shells primer had been hit but the gun did not fire, I had other brands of shells with me so I tried them & had no problem, so I chocked it up to bad shells, This week at the range it happened again, same shell, Remington copper solids, so I had some Federals along so I put one of those in, & the gun mis-fired again, although this time there was no "dent" in the shells primer, I worked the action of the gun & then reloaded the Remington CS back in, the gun fired the shell, I then put the Federal shell in that did not fire & that fired fine, Now I think I have a problem, A gun that doesn't go "Bang" all the time does not induce confidence. Any Ideas?? Anyone??, On the way home I dropped the gun off at a gunsmiths, I hope he can find something, maybe a bad pin, or spring, It has been just a great gun.

Last edited by DocD; 11-21-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

No brainer for me. I figured it would Remington ammo as soon as the words misfire and slug gun came together.

This has been going on for years now with Remington slugs. Remington has been made aware of this issue over and over again but have done nothing about it. Results? I don't buy any of their slugs or ammo anymore.

Lay a straight edge over that brass and see how deeply that primer is set. That explains the slight dent made. It isn't a light strike of the firing pin it is just the primer is almost out of reach of the firing pin.

Lay a straight edge over some of the ammo you had no problem with and you will see just how poor Remington's QC is.

Last edited by uncle matt; 09-30-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to respectfully disagree with part of Uncle Matt's assessment. I do not question his comment about the Remington slug ammo. That may indeed be the case.

However, you stated that experienced "mis-fire" issues with two different makes of ammo ... Remington and Federal. You also stated that on one case, the firing pin did not strike the primer (Federal ammo) at all. These are big red flags that point me towards the fire arm and away form the ammo ... how ever I certainly respect Uncle Matt's experience with the Remington slug ammo.

First I'd disassemble the bolt and check for debris that might be restricting the firing pin's motion, and carefully check for a cracked or broken firing pin spring. If there is no glaring reason that the firing pin should not work as designed ... once cleaned, lubed and reassembled, I'd head to the range and try again. Take some Remington, Federal, Wichester, etc. loads. If you get a similar result ... go straight to Mossberg or a reputable gun smith. It is the fire arm.

Last edited by Mojotex; 09-30-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Uncle Matt, Mojotex,

Thanks for the advise,, Uncle Matt, yes it was Remington, last year & this year, all showed signs of a pin strike, (makes me wonder also) The Federal ? I don't know, no sign of a strike, Mojotex, you make a lot of good sense, The gun is currently at a gunsmiths, I will report his finding, Thanks Doc
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I concur with Mojotex - he is certainly right. In my never ending anger towards Remington I jumped the gun. If you have problems with Federal ammo you indeed may have a gun issue.

I am still curious if you put a straight edge across that brass to see how deeply seated the primers are? I would straight edge any ammo you have misfires with to see what the primer seating status is.

But no matter what you gotta get it worked out as deer season is coming quick and no one wants to just hear a click with a deer in your sights.