Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin GBL

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Marlin GBL

Anyone have one of the Marlin GBLs. I am considering one in 45/70. I like the idea of a big loop to give added hand room. Not sure which one yet as there is a SS model and a blu model.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have the big loop but I do have a Guide Gun in the .45-70. Awesome little rifle. I will never part with it. And I have a lot of other quality centerfire rifles. Topped with a 1 - 4X shotgun scope, this is my 'go to' rifle for chasing black bears in the thick woods. And with a 300 gr soft point, it thumps them pretty good and they don't go very far.
The only difference between the 2 rifles is the lever, which can be swapped out in a matter of seconds.
I think they also make it in a blued/grey laminate which is pretty cool looking.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Spike

Is the big loop a straight up swap for the original lever? Any idea on a cost to purchase the big lever?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say it is. It is just a matter of removing one screw and swapping out the levers. Something every marlin owners should know how to do. Removing the lever and bolt allows for cleaning from the breech end.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Spike

Thanks Bronko. I am fully aware of the cleaning process, but was just wondering if the GBL lever end lined up with the stock ok or if there was perhaps a gap or something. Also wondering if anyone has done it and what the cost was for the "replacement" lever?

Tom
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big loops can be purchased and swapped for the original. They are made to fit, no gaps.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I always go stainless.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by tt4617
Thanks Bronko. I am fully aware of the cleaning process, but was just wondering if the GBL lever end lined up with the stock ok or if there was perhaps a gap or something. Also wondering if anyone has done it and what the cost was for the "replacement" lever?

Tom
Tom - I am glad you are. But it is amazing how many Marlin owners aren't and insist on cleaning from the muzzle. And without a rod guide too. When I told them they usually respond I don't want to do that and not be able to get it back together - even when I showed them how easy it was to do......OHHHH OK then.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Tom - I am glad you are. But it is amazing how many Marlin owners aren't and insist on cleaning from the muzzle. And without a rod guide too. When I told them they usually respond I don't want to do that and not be able to get it back together - even when I showed them how easy it was to do......OHHHH OK then.
Bronko, I know what you mean. I can't tell you how many times I have seen posts about how hard they are to break down, etc. I tell those people now, don't be intimidated by those posts. If you doubt yourself, the owners manual is actually very clear on how to break it down.