Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
One Unhappy Thompson Owner >

One Unhappy Thompson Owner

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

One Unhappy Thompson Owner

Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

I've had TC's since 73 ,and any issues I had were taken care of quick no questions asked. Till S&W took over I only had one contact with them since, and was treated much differently. Many Questions ,What did I do to the gun, etc.etc. What I don't understand is why is this , I have S&W pistols and have had service on one of them, that service was great, so why the deal with TC.
Alex
Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I bought mine a year ago so I guess I got a good one before S&W bought it.
S&W has owned TC for 3 years.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just called TC CS to order flush fit dress screws for where I took my front sight off. I called them and they answered; I told them what I needed and they shipped them and I had them in 3 days??????????????????????. I bought mine a year ago last Christmas Eve as well before S&W bought them but I am still having no problems with service from them.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I just called TC CS to order flush fit dress screws for where I took my front sight off. I called them and they answered; I told them what I needed and they shipped them and I had them in 3 days??????????????????????. I bought mine a year ago last Christmas Eve as well before S&W bought them but I am still having no problems with service from them.
Kind of stubborn huh?

Read the last paragraph of this announcement. If you don't believe it. Call TC and ask them. I did 5 days ago, and they confirm what this article says.

ROCHESTER — Springfield, Mass-based Smith & Wesson Holding Corp is relocating its Thompson/Center Arms operations from Rochester, N.H., to its Springfield, Mass. facility, according to the City biz Real Estate website.

The site posted the news late Wednesday night.

Foster's Daily Democrat has learned the company bused its employees to a meeting at the Governor's Inn Restaurant around 4 p.m. Wednesday. At the meeting company representatives were reported to have said the Thompson/Center Arms facility would be closed over a period of about nine months.

The closure will effect approximately 250 employees, some who may be offered the opportunity to move the company's Springfield operation.

Foster's also learned over the next couple of weeks there will be meetings with employees to discuss severance issues and the possible relocation of some local workers to Springfield. Employees were also told the company was continuing to look for a buyer for the foundry at the Rochester facility.

According to its most recent annual report, the company owns three manufacturing facilities in its firearm division. Its principal facility is the 530,323-square-foot Springfield plant. It also owns a 38,115-square-foot plant in Houlton, Maine, and the 160,000-square-foot plant in Rochester.

The bulk of the $9 million of estimated cash outlays associated with the relocation will occur in the second half of 2011, and those outlays are expected to be recovered in approximately 24 months. The relocation is scheduled to commence in January 2011 and conclude by November 2011.

As a result of the relocation of its Thompson/Center Arms operations, Smith & Wesson expects to record future expense of approximately $6 million, consisting of approximately $3 million for personnel-related exit costs and approximately $3 million of other facility-related shutdown costs, including costs for moving and facility preparation.

The Springfield facility is primarily used to manufacture handguns and rifles; the Houlton facility is primarily used to manufacture handcuffs, restraints, .22-caliber pistols, metal center-fire pistols, and the Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols; and the Rochester facility is used primarily to produce hunting rifles, black powder firearms, interchangeable firearm systems, and long gun barrels.

The company also owns a 56,869-square-foot facility in Springfield that it uses for the Smith & Wesson Academy, a state-accredited firearm training institution, a public shooting facility, and a retail store; and a 6,000-square-foot retail facility in Rochester.

The company leases office and manufacturing space at four facilities in its perimeter security division. The facilities are all located within a quarter mile of each other in Franklin, Tenn. The total space leased is 61,509 square feet.

The company also leases 2,800 square feet of office space in Scottsdale, Ariz., which houses its investor relations department as well as offices for its board of directors, and 577 square feet of office space in Washington, D.C., which houses certain executive staff. Both of these leases expire on Dec. 31, 2010.

Smith & Wesson acquired Rochester, NH-based Thompson/Center Arms, Inc., a privately held, New Hampshire-based designer, manufacturer and marketer of hunting firearms, for $102 million in cash in 2006.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Spike

Just an update on my Thompson problem. I started this post in the middle of Dec. Well still no 22 barrel, I called customer service today and got a new answer. We have no barrels and do not know when they will be made but when we do get them we will ship them out. I wish they had an office just down the street because they would need a new front door. Sean
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Spike

Default happy

I am extremely happy with my Triumph. Right out of the box it was a tack driver!!! Bang on at 100 yards now with my Nikon Omega!!! Question is, is the T/C venture just as good or would I be better off with another brand rifle?!?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine tim, called me sunday night to tell me about a with a pro-hunter his buddy bought when they got back to the USA after being oversea's for a year (both of them are in the Air Force). They went to the range, his buddy put 1 round down the barrel and handed him the rifle with a case stuck in the chamber, and it did it every time they shot it. After getting the cases out they noticed the cases were slightly egg shaped. I guess when it comes back from TC it's going down the road.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

So T/C is down in the gutter with Remington, LOL. (I just bought a 700 SPS).

Next rifle will be a CZ 550 American I think even though my Remington seems well made.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Spike

Wow,
Sorry to hear this!
My Contender G1 and barrel sets work extremely well, but my dad got them in the early 90s IIRC.

It is a shame to see the almighty(?) dollar come before quality/pride in workmanship once again.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=luthier;4041465]Wow,
Sorry to hear this!
My Contender G1 and barrel sets work extremely well, but my dad got them in the early 90s IIRC.

It is a shame to see the almighty(?) dollar come before quality/pride in workmanship once again.[/QUOTE]

***How does one come to that conclusion about a company from just one or two posts by people that had a problem a couple years ago?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.