Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

bargains?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Default bargains?

these cheap rifle packages from remington,savage,mossburg,these are no bargains,there garbage and the scopes they come with leave alot to be desired.you cant pay junkyard prices and expect cadillac performance.these are some of the worse firearms being manufactured.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm betting that you have never owned any of these guns, and are simply talking out your rear end, the Savage 110's and Remington 700's happen to be fine firearms. Go away, troll.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Spike

im not talking about those pay attention im talking about the savage edge,remm 770 and the like.they r junk
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I agree on the Remington 770, the Savage Model 10 and 110 is offered as a package deal for $400 at Walmart. The Simmons scope isn't great, but the rifle is. You get the performance of a Caddy at a Kia price. So not all package guns are horrible. Just depends on which you get. I've also seen Remington 700 packages. Just because they are sold as a package doesn't mean they are junk.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
bigcountry

Let me say, I don't and wont own one of these packages. But with that said, I bet any of them would easily kill a deer or get groups into a pie plate at 100 yards. Hunting is a luxury and alot our passtime and passion. So that flows over to our weapons. I sure don't need my sako 75's to kill a deer at 50 yards. But its nice.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Edge

I bought a Savage Edge and use it to play around with. My regular hunting rifle is a Remington 7600 30/06. I can keep shots with my .223 Edge at 1 MOA or less depending on ammo. If money were an issue and I needed a gun to get out in the woods with Id use the Edge, not my first choice but it will do the job. So many people put equipment before skill. Give me a single shot rifle and Ill adjust my hunting strategy to what I am using.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in a hunting club(group really i guess) and one of the guys bought 2 Mossbergs on sale at Dick's last week for his 2 sons, one was a 270 and one was a 243. While I agree the scopes are junk both guns grouped half-decently(about 1.25" with reg. Rem c-lokts.) when we all got together this Sunday to sight our guns in. I was actually impressed since this was a $300 package gun on sale at Dicks. Basically he has about $700 in rifles setups and 4 boxes of shells for his boys. No they are not great guns and I personally wouldn't use the scopes that came with them but they should work perfectly fine next week when these guys are in the stands.

Honestly I would bet that el cheapo Tasco's have prob killed more deer then anything. Personally I like to have nicer stuff in the woods but I don't talk down to some of the guys I hunt with who can barely afford our yearly dues let alone an expensive rifles. To some folks $300 for a gun and scope is expensive.

I cannot say anything for the other package guns cause I've never had any first hand experiences with them.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Remington 700 30-06 at walmart with a factory installed remington scope for $397+tax. Im getting 3 touching holes at 50 yards and havent tried it at 100 yards yet. I was shooting better groups with mine then my buddy was with his Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308($1200+ dollar) topped with a $600 leupold. For what some people use a rifle for there is no need to waste money and thats exactly what some people do.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blacktored
these cheap rifle packages from remington,savage,mossburg,these are no bargains,there garbage and the scopes they come with leave alot to be desired.you cant pay junkyard prices and expect cadillac performance.these are some of the worse firearms being manufactured.

please tell us what wonder rifle you use
Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine bought a Walmart Remington SPS package rifle with the cheap scope and plastic stock and plastic strap. It is a 22-250 and at first glance I wasn't impressed at all....it just screamed cheap.

First time out shootin prairie dogs changed my mind a bit. Yes the thing is still butt ugly but it does shoot. We've taken it out many times since and to be honest its wicked accurate, holds zero well, never been fooled with beyond the initial sight in and other than being a bit heavy was a good deal.

Personally I prefer a better finished gun with bettr glass/stock/finish but you can't beat this one for utility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.