Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
New "Non lead" bullets? >

New "Non lead" bullets?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New "Non lead" bullets?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Default New "Non lead" bullets?

What do you all think about the new trend in some bullets to not have any lead? Like the Barnes Triple Shock, and the Winchester
E-Tip's.
How are they doing harvest wise?
Must be because of the reputation some ballistic tip bullets have gotten for seperating and coming apart?

Last edited by dig4gold; 10-18-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ultimately I believe they will change the way rifle manufacturers twist their barrels. Non-lead bullets are generally longer than their 'same weight lead counter parts. Longer bullets require faster twisted barrels. I am not a huge fan but I believe that we will all be using them soon enough and like non-lead shot in waterfowl shotgun shells it will be the standard.
I also believe they are more prone to over penetrate or fail to expand but I have only a little experience with Barnes bullets and no other NL bullets.

I don't 'harvest' big game animals, I'd harvest corn. I kill big game animals ...period.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Typical Buck

Well not to be bias but from what I've seen them do on game I'm surprised they haven't been recalled back to the factory. That next best thing or the new fad of solid copper is a misleading one so far. So far I've only had three clients use solids and they haven't expanded like they were supposed to, the elk took longer to go down and I just don't think the expansion and that initial punch is happening like you would get normally. Good luck I'll cast my own bullets before joining the ranks of the XXX.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard the stories about Barnes X bullets not expanding, and I am not doubting anyone's experiences...

However I have had nothing but good results with them.. Currently I am using them in a 7mm08 ( 120 grain @ 3000FPS) and a 9.3 x 62 ( 250 grain @ 2500 fps)....

They have always expanded ..Normally I get a half dollar sized exit hole and much less bloodshot meat than with conventional lead bullets..The game animals I have shot with them have died as quickly as with any other bullets, including ballistic tips.. They are scary accurate in my rifles...

So far I have been more favorably impressed with them than any other game bullet I have used...

That's my experience.. I intend to keep using them as long as I keep getting such good performance with them..
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Spike

I have never not had a barnes not expand
Old 11-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR.... I don't shoot at the extreme ranges that you often do...

The TSX group under an inch in my rifles ( 3 shots @100 yd).. That is actually more accuracy than I need, since I seldom shoot over 300 yards and never shoot over 400...

At very extreme ranges I would suspect that the monolithic bullets might be less apt to expand due to reduced velocity.. I'd think that at such ranges, one would want to use the most accurate, fast expanding bullet available..
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

dig4gold

I think that all maunufactures will end up going this way. As much as I hate to say it is only a matter of time - the do gooders and the folks with the money will force a lead ban. California started and few other states have already adopted portions of the ban. Many States consider some form of lead ban last year.

It is coming...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

I dont know if your talkign about some particular bullet or what but I've shot solid copper barnes expanders since my dad bought a TC encore 50 cal ML back when they first legalized them in NY... IDK maybe 10-15 years ago. I would not call that 'new' by any means so not sure if your referring to something different.

I must say that the barnes expander in my dads TC with 130gr of pyrodex has taken every deer shot down in a couple seconds, and in somecases 'dumped'. Overal I'd say just as quickly or even more so than my 270. Now I have never shot them myself since I got my own ML but back then I had absolutely no complaints.

I just bought a Savage 220F and just got the scope parts and shells in the mail today and will be using the barnes tipped expanders so we'll see this shotgun season how they work.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have nothing against the non lead bullets and have used them with success in the past. But what does get my goat is these eco-ignorrant politicians like in California that put bans on the lead bullets. I swear 99% of all politicians give the others a bad name.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

when the California idiots find out that copper kills pine trees copper will be band to