Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
New mossberg atr 100 rifle revies? >

New mossberg atr 100 rifle revies?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New mossberg atr 100 rifle revies?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default New mossberg atr 100 rifle revies?

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/27241.jpg
any one have any reviews on the new mossberg bolt action riles.
I read on another forum that they had a few problems with them as far as the locking lugs shearing from the bolt face.I think 2 shooters were injured from the bolt blowing back out of the action.
The above model in the 243 cal. for me it is the Bantam model and the L.O.P. is 13 1/4"
Old 10-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Spike

I haven't heard any glowing reviews on the ATR's. I would look at a Savage with accu-trigger, a Marlin XS-7, or a T/C Venture. I have both the Savage and the Venture in .243 and they're both great guns. I might give a slight preference to the Venture however.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have a ATR100 in 30.06 I bought from Walmart 3yrs ago for $221.00 its shoots great less than 2 inch 3 shot groups at 100yds!!! I put a nice sling and a Limbsaver Recoil Pad on it..HOW CAN YOU NOT BE HAPPY?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Spike

steelhead, how do you like your limbsaver pad? I put one on my .308 and couldn't believe the difference it made. I was very impressed with it.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hanks396
steelhead, how do you like your limbsaver pad? I put one on my .308 and couldn't believe the difference it made. I was very impressed with it.
Hanks it is Awesome!!! what a difference I took that no-good cheap piece off the atr100 and was impressed with the difference the Limbsaver pad made
Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I bought an ATR in .308 last August for $350 and after a little bit of work on it, I have been very pleased by the performance. Originally the bolt throw and the magazine were a bit stiff so I worked a bit of oil around and that seemed to fix the problem. Also, the rings were loose and uneven but after an adjustment and a tightening they work just fine.

One issue I haven't been able to figure out is a slight feeding problem. The first round out of the magazine tended to jam when I was using 150 grain American Eagles but the following rounds out of the magazine never had a problem. When I switched to 165 grain Federals and 168 grain winchester ballistic silvertips they loaded just fine.

The pro's of this gun the accuracy and the trigger. The American eagles were grouping at around 1 MOA and the premium loads were shooting even better! As far as Mossberg's new trigger, it's just as crisp and smooth as Savage's accutrigger but on a much cheaper gun. So I guess if you're looking for an entry level rifle that feels and shoots great, I would definitely recommend this gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MossbergATR100.jpg (19.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Spike

+1 Bill. My 270 is great and fun to own. It fits me well and carries light. Buy it and you will love it.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I brought the .243 scoped for my son.
I started shooting it, and I love it.
The 'double' trigger I really like. It's a nice gimick.

I like it better than my $1500 BAR.

The scope is junk, but I dialed it in, and it holds true.
$400 for the package, and it's great.

I'm taking it this weekend instead of the $1500 BAR

with a nice scope, I'd take this any where.

The bolt is stiff after taking a shoot, but that is because the firing pin needs to be reset.